iPhone 4 Camera Flickering/Distorting/Going crazy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Akuratyde, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Akuratyde, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

Akuratyde macrumors regular

I dropped my iPhone 4 a couple days ago and shattered the glass. I took it in yesterday, paid the $217 for a replacement (Yeah, didn't get a FREE one), and came home.

Today I noticed the Rear-facing Camera doesn't work correctly.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe what my phone is doing, it's beyond flickering. It's vertical lines of pink distortion jumping about at rapid speed. The distortion does show up in the photos and video I take too. I'll attach a few photos I took with it.

The front-facing camera works fine, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue. I did a full restore and it didn't help.

Has anyone experienced this? Is my only choice to take it in to the Apple Store?

EDIT: Attachments didn't show up, so here they are:

http://akuratyde.com/misc/IMG_1605.JPG
    http://akuratyde.com/misc/IMG_1606.JPG
    http://akuratyde.com/misc/IMG_1608.JPG

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since its only a day old, I would take it back. :(

3. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I just don't really want to go back there after I was just there yesterday. I was hoping someone would have a simple fix for this but Googling has yielded no results.

Oddly enough, it's been working just fine for the past hour and I've had it sitting on top of my Macbook Pro. I noticed that the phone is warm, though not too hot, and I'm wondering if heat might have something to do with it? I.E. - works fine when warm but falters when cold?

4. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I took it back to the Apple Store and they gave me a new phone at no cost. I'm still bitter about having to pay the $200 after reading thread after thread on here where people received replacements phones at no cost, but I'm glad this issue was resolved quickly and at no additional cost to me.

5. ImStrapped macrumors member

Wow, sucks u had to pay bro. I was gonna say, that didn't look to me like a software issue so only way round it would be getting a replacement.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't understand how you could be "bitter" about having to pay for a phone that you broke. If I broke my iDevice, I would fully expect to have to pay for a replacement, and if they just happen to replace it for free, I would consider myself very lucky.

7. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't say I was bitter about having to pay, I said I was bitter about having to pay after reading thread-after-thread on here where people received free replacements. Especially in the instances where people had dropped the phone off a 5-story building or backed over it with a car. All I did was drop it from waist height in my apartment.

The difference is, if everyone had to pay I can accept that. It's my fault that I dropped it and I understand it's my responsibility to pay for a replacement. However, when they are giving out free replacements to some and not to others that's inconsistent and unfair.