iPhone 4 Camera - Green blob

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Great Boony, Mar 14, 2011.

1. The Great Boony macrumors regular

Hi All,

I'm on my third iPhone 4 with the green blob issue - When you point the camera against a white wall or bit of paper, there is a green blob on the screen.

Is this an issue with all iPhone 4's?

It's getting boring and ruining my photos

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My camera on the iPhone works wonderfully. I never even heard of this green blob issue.

3. The Great Boony thread starter macrumors regular

Open your camera app and point it to something white.

4. mrtune, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

mrtune macrumors 6502a

Hmm, never noticed before. I just tried it out and sure enough, there is a green blob on mine too. Its most notable if I am taking a closeup shot. I'll post a pic here in a little bit.

I wonder if this is a new bug with 4.3 or been here for a long time? I know I've never noticed it before.

[edit] - Here's a pic I just took and uploaded to share. It's a white shop rag I had at work. Green blob is very noticable. Took pic from about 8-10 inches away from the rag.
    [​IMG]

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's an issue with CFL (compact fluorescent lighting). Doesn't happen with incandescent or natural light. It's been there since the original iPhone 4 release.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is that with or without the flash?

I took a picture of my white wall without the flash and I didn't notice any green hues.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Maflyn, No flash.

Is this CFL issue only affecting the iPhone? My Canon point and shoot doesn't have green blobbing.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its maflynn ;)

since I didn't notice any green blob or hue when I tried it. What's the lighting Was it CFL (as noted in the other post), incandescent or sunlight.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I got fat fingers, lol.

CFL here at work. I went outside and the problem went away, so definitely an issue with the lights in here. But at the same time, my canon doesn't get affected by the lighting so no green blobs. Pictures come out awesome on that camera.

10. Charadis macrumors 6502a

CFL, fluorescent lighting. My phone camera does this, too.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No worries :)

So its more likely because of lighting in conjunction with the phone. So back to the OP's question. It does seem to affect every phone and he shouldn't return the phone for another as it will also have the same issue.

12. fastblack macrumors regular

I went to the apple store to test their phones. The Verizon phones do not do this at all, but all of the at&t ones did.

13. ImAwesome macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

14. Merkie macrumors 68020

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It can. You may not see it as green. Florescent lights flicker but are generally too fast for us to notice, but cameras pick them up when the shutter speed is higher then the frequency of the light. I run into this all the time when I have to shoot at my friends dance studio. They have florescent lighting and I need fast shutter speeds to catch the dancers in action so I have to bring my own lighting setup since if I use the overhead lights the image comes out with almost stripes down it.