iPhone 4 Camera - Horizontal Lines?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ErikWithNoC, May 28, 2011.

1. ErikWithNoC macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new member here and need some help.

I just recently started taking note of a problem with my iPhone's camera. I got the phone around March I believe, and I think a month ago this problem started, but I didn't pay much attention to it. When I launch the camera app I can see blue/other colored lines running horizontally through the screen (this isn't a pixel problem because it's only in the camera). They are most notable in dark shots and not so bad in shots with light, but they are driving me nuts and I don't know why they are there. I would really like to not return my phone since it's jailbroken and has been customized extensively. I've also attached a picture for reference.

If anybody has any idea about what to do I would greatly appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If it only occurs in dark shots, then I don't know what the problem is...

3. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Besides restoring the iPhone I can't imagine anything else that you could do. I've never heard of this problem, and if a restore doesn't alleviate the issues then I believe a visit to a Genius Bar would be in order.

4. ErikWithNoC thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't only appear in dark shots, its just most noticeable there.

5. Stabvest macrumors newbie

Camera? Does the iPhone 4 have a camera? I suppose it does but I haven't a clue how to operate it.

I was talked into getting an iPhone 4 some time ago by my youngest daughter, who got one herself, and it's a really nice looking thing - very shiny and slick. I charge it up regularly and take it with me everywhere I go, in its smart leather case fastened to my belt. I've never actually used it, though, because i haven't a clue how it works. Or, indeed, if it works. I don't have any "apps" (I'm not even sure what they are!) and I don't even know the phone number, although I'm sure it's written down somewhere on the documentation I was given when I bought the thing. I've never been much of a mobile phone user, to be honest. I have a cheap old Nokia stuffed in my briefcase - with no camera - but otherwise I tend to use landlines. Last year, I spent the equivalent of about $25 US in total on mobile calls, and many of those were actually made by my wife.

In hindsight, I think it was a mistake me buying this phone and signing up to use it. That's not because there's anything wrong with it - but because it doesn't really feature in my lifestyle. Consequently, I would suggest that anyone who is considering buying one might want to ask themselves whether they actually have any use for one of these so they don't make my mistake.

Stabvest

6. ErikWithNoC thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious. Are you just ********** stupid or did you think this was relevant?

7. tikibar115 macrumors newbie

Same problem!

I found your post while trying to find help to the same problem. Got my iPhone 4 in early May and one month later I started having horizontal lines randomly appear on my screen when using the camera & video camera. I finally called for "iHelp" and was told my 90 day phone support was out so they helped as best as they could. After asking several questions and putting me on hold after each one, it was determined (by the helper) that it wasn't a hardware issue and I should Restore the phone as new. I did that, used the camera, then used it again today and I had lines in my video. Something is obviously wrong with the camera in the phone. I did drop my phone, but that was after I had the line issues. The guy was also trying to blame it on a "generic case". What? So I am going to call again and see where to go next. He suggested I get the Apple Care, but my phone has a one year warranty and I refuse to pay for this repair, which is what it needs. I will keep you posted. Sorry I didn't have an answer, just wanted to let you know how I wasted an entire afternoon and evening backing up and restoring my phone (twice) with no luck.

I agree about the odd iPhone post. Why did that person post about not wanting an iPhone but then buying it? I love mine! I'd be lost without it. The key word is Research. Know what you are buying and why.