iPhone 4 camera lens defects.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tyro1, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Tyro1 macrumors newbie

I returned an iphone 4 today to my local Apple store because of a piece of particulate matter that was under the outer glass that covers the camera lens. The problem was easily verified and I was given a replacement unit. The replacement unit has the same type of defect. Of course the piece of paticulate is different in appearance than that of the first unit; unfortunately, this one is a bit larger and is either in the glass itself or stuck to the underneath very near the center. Just curious if this has been an issue for any of you folks. Thanks.

2. xmtgx macrumors regular

3. Tyro1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll post a pic of both defective lenses a little later today.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Not surprised. Regular digital cameras of all makes can have a dust problem in the lens from manufacturing.

5. Tyro1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do understand that this problem is not unique; however, I would think that in a lens as small as is used in a phone, any sizable unwanted bits would be a problem.

First pic is of the defect I initially took issue with: The piece of whatever it is, seemed to have just a tip caught between the glass and the black ring beneath with the rest of the particulate protruding into the aperture.

Second, is the lens of the replacement unit I received: Same general type of defect, yet this one I'm not quite certain is a piece of particulate. It almost seems to be in the glass itself, but it's hard to tell. It's definitely under the surface, maybe just stuck to the underside. Should defects such as this warrant returning the second unit also, or am I being overly picky?

Attached Files:

6. jrt67ss350 macrumors newbie

My first IP4 that I received the day prior to launch day had no particulate matter under the lens. My phone was replaced a few days ago for battery issues, and my replacement does have the same type of particulate matter as your second phone. Didn't notice it until I got home from the Apple Store. I haven't decided if I want to pursue this as a reason to return the phone or not.