Iphone 4 camera lens scratched

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by monderick, Oct 29, 2010.

1. monderick macrumors member

the plastic over my rear facing camera has lots of scuff marks in it. if i purchase a replacement backplate (white or black), does it come with a hole in the plastic over the camera or is that a combined piece with the camera itself?

it's hard to tell from the pictures i've seen and don't have a screwdriver small enough at the moment to check in advance. just looking for the easiest way to accomplish this.
    thanks.

2. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i would just take it to your nearest apple store and get them to replace it. $29 or £25 depending which country you are in.

3. monderick thread starter macrumors member

really? do they replace the entire back or just the camera lens?
    it's strange that only the lens got scuffed and not the rest of the back, but 29$ is cheap.

thanks

4. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

yep entire back. A few members have had it done on here. I also phoned my local apple store and they said they do it for £25 (im in the UK).

5. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

Why pay a cent for this?

You're paying for Apple's monumental stupidity in putting a PLASTIC cover over a camera lens. Compounded by the stupidity of putting that cover flush with the surface of the back, so it can come into contact with whatever the phone lies on.

Topped off by the fact that the entire front and back of the phone are GLASS, but the most optically important part is PLASTIC.

Apple = unbelievable morons

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

if its still under warranty (and you're paying a buttload per month on contract) just say theres something wrong with it.

7. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

Yep, it'll be going back. I wish more people paid attention to these things and demanded competent products for their money. That means returning defective products and making sure the manufacturer knows about the problem.