Iphone 4 Camera makes blurry/grainy photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motownflip, Sep 19, 2010.

1. motownflip macrumors regular

Anyone experiencing this? I'm on my second phone. I've restored. I've tapped the screen to focus. My pics are pretty awful for a 5 mp camera. I've got a decent idea on how to work a camera as other camera is a D90. Anyone have any advice? There's got to be something that I'm not doing correctly.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If the camera isn't defective, you may just be expecting too much out of it. It still is a cell phone camera, 5MP or not. Also, it's very hard to judge as you haven't attached any examples.

If you are CONVINCED that the camera is defective, I'd recommend making an appointment at an Apple Store. They can give you further instructions.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Well it's probably a number of things. First, you're like a lot of us with a DSLR. You're used to really sharp shots. Second, the lighting. Try outdoor shots and indoor shots. You're gonna see a difference. I have some indoor and outdoor that, depending on the lighting, have a gradient or blur in the photo. It's mostly background items that get messed up.

Camera+ was a huge help to correct exposure issues that you get in the default camera app. I think it's still banned from the App Store because they pulled a fast one on Apple and it's only in the JB app store now. I wonder if it can come back now after the new codeing rules went into place?

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you can, attach a sample. With the information you've given my first guess is low light. It sounds like slow shutter speed and noise.

5. motownflip thread starter macrumors regular

here's two examples. One much worse than the other.

Attached Files:

6. strodda macrumors regular

It looks ok to me, can you post a photo that hasn't been resized?

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

If you're skilled with the D90 then you'll realize that this images has a shutter speed of 1/15th. Pretty darn slow for a hand held shot with no flash being used. Even more difficult given the phone is so light weight.

Grain wise, it's due to the sensor. MegaPixels mean very little. It's the size and quality of the sensor and the pixels that matter. The high chair shot was at an ISO of 320. Pretty high for a cell phone to expect much.

Both however will print fine at 4x6 snapshots which is what they are.

8. strodda macrumors regular

And yes, indoor and semi-low light conditions will produce graininess. It is just a cellphone.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

They look perfectly fine to me for an iPhone camera. If you are expecting high quality still shots, then use a high quality still camera.

10. motownflip thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. Just wanted to see if my results were typical. Some spoke very highly of the camera, so I guess I had unrealistic expectations. Thanks for the input. Looks like it's back to keeping a good P&S around when the 90 is put up.:mad:

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The camera will do well outside. Indoors with no flash and ambient light, you'll have to pull those off with either a DSLR with an f2.8 lens and appropriate shutter speed or a nicer P&S like the newer Panny or Fuji models that do quite well at high ISO's.

Here are some 3mp shots from the 3Gs

[​IMG]

1/15th shutter on the 3Gs and prints just fine. The motion blur in the background is actually what helps pop my daughter and son out as the focal points.

[​IMG]

1/24th shutter here
    [​IMG]

12. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

indoor shots with artificial lighting always come out somewhat grainy for me. with natural light photos look good though. sucks but thats the way it is.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Cute pics everyone. Here's three with different shutter speeds all at f/2.4 and all resized. :(

Indoors fluorescent light - shutter 1/15 second
    IMG_0055b.jpg

Outdoors overcast - shutter 1/408 second
    IMG_0202b.jpg

Outdoors sunny - shutter 1/2514 second
    IMG_0221b.jpg

14. lizwaxy macrumors newbie

Camera

Hi, I looked at these shots and they are worlds away sharper and clearer than mine are.
    I have a brand new, 32G iTouch and the camera photos are beautiful and very grainy. Especially when I upload them- and they're bigger on my computer- they are really crappy. Somewhat fuzzy and grainy.

How do you adjust the shutterspeeds on the camera portion?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're talking about an iPod Touch? Its camera is not as good as the iPhone's. Not even close.

It's more like 1 MP compared to the iPhone's 5 MP camera. The iPod camera is really only there to shoot video.

16. Amorey macrumors newbie

Augh!! I am having the same problem with my new Verizon iPhone 4. The photos look fine when I take them, then I upload them to Facebook or twitter, or send them by mms and they look terrible! Grainy and pixelated. I just came from an AT&T 3GS, and previously had a 3G and never had this problem. Not sure if it's the phone, the network, the settings.. What gives?? So frustrated.

17. norrismantooth macrumors regular

I love the fact that you want to complain about the graininess of a photo, in which you've clearly zoomed in using the phone on the one on the right.

Not comparing apples to apples, man. iPhones always go grainy when you use the software zoom.

18. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Are you sure that whatever means you are uploading them is not compressing them to reduce the size?

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Pixel density. Low light pictures highlight this shortcoming of small sensors.

Image noise will likely get worse with 8 MP (or other tradeoffs will need to be made). I would much prefer to keep the camera resolution at 5 MP.

20. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

On the 2nd photos, were you zooming in on your camera? That may be the reason why that one is grainy....

21. pws442 macrumors newbie

pws442

Could it be the case causing the grain

tested with both the 4 and 4S. tried several cases, with and without a built-in power supply, which adds to the thickness. All induced graininess on the pictures, thicker the case, worse the grain. Did not really notice the glare, just the grain. Removing the case, removed the grain. Always. Bummer, as I need a case, and want to use the flash when warranted.

22. ehiacinth macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4's camera photos are blurry :(

At first, I thought the reason for blurry photos is the back casing (the camera area is scratched badly). So, I had the back camera replaced, but nothing happened. It still produces blurry pictures.

I realized that whenever I take a photo, it doesn't auto-focus. :( should I have it fixed? I know there's a problem.

:( it doesn't focus.. :(

23. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

It's a smartphone camera dude, don't expect to get even close to your D90. If you wanna use your phone as a decent replacement camera then you might have to wait til the technology gets a lil better in them.