Iphone 4 camera resolution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuckm1020, Feb 12, 2011.

1. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Sorry if its a dumb question. I recently got an Iphone 4 and I came from an HTC Incredible. I know the resolutions are different on both phones since the iphone is 5mp and the incredible is 8mp. I just imported some photos i took on my iphone to my computer for this first time. The size of the photo on the computers screen is completely different than the incredibles pictures. in full screen viewing mode the photos taken from the iphone have 2 black bars on the right and left. when i view the photos i took from the incredible the pictures cover the whole screen (more wide screen looking), making viewing the pictures from the incredible i guess a little more enjoyable. Does this seem right? Is this just because it being a completely different resolution than the incredibles resolution? Thanks

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You mean just when using quickview? I think that's normal. The iPhone doesn't shoot in the same aspect ratio as your screen.

3. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Im am importing them into Iphoto and using iphoto to view them.

4. Coin3 macrumors newbie

I might be reading the post wrong but it sounds like you were holding the iphone vertically when you took pictures, and held the incredible horizontally, which fills up the computer screen more...
    Hold the iphone sideways.

5. seajay96, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

seajay96 macrumors 6502

What is your screen resolution?

I just checked one of the photos I took on my iPhone and its dimensions are 2592 × 1936 (~4:3)

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 (16:9), so in order to fit the photo to the height of my screen, it will have left over space on the sides.

Find the actual files for your photos in Finder (or right click in iPhoto and and select "Show File"), then right click on the photos from each camera and select "Get Info" in the popup info window, it will show you the dimensions.

EDIT: Just saw you have a MBP which has an aspect ratio of 16:10 and did a Google search for the Incredible which shoots in 5:3 aspect ratio (easily scalable to ~16:10), so what you're seeing is perfectly normal, just a difference in aspect ratio.

6. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha im not that crazy :p Well I think lol. No all photos im talking about are taken horizontally with both phones. Im still doing more research. I think its just a completely different aspect ratio making the photo more square shape that widescreen. I could crop each photo if I wanted to.

7. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup same resolution photos as yours. 2592 x 1936. My screen resolution on my MBP 15in is 1440x900. My resolution on my droids photos are 3264 x 1952.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

There you go. The height of both photos are virtually the same, while the iPhone's picture is over 650px shorter, making it less wide.

The 'enjoyment' factor is normal, people naturally enjoy photos with more horizontal detail since the sky and the ground don't really hold things of interest.

9. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah it kinda clicked when i saw the actual resolution also. long day hahaha. Thanks for the replies though. Thats kind of a bummer though. Ill just have to learn to like it or crop my photos the way i want :(