iPhone 4 Camera Roll sync question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DC Hurricane, Jun 21, 2010.

1. DC Hurricane macrumors member

I know there are topics on this but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Basically if I set up as new all I'd like to keep is my contacts and camera roll. I'm gonna sell my old iPhone and get the iPhone 4 so I was wondering once I restore this old phone will I be able to get my camera roll pictures back without restoring from a backup? I'm pretty sure I can easily sync my contacts back since that's in address book on my mac. Any insight?

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I believe you will just have to upload the photos to your computer and put them in an album. It's not too bad, but it will require a few extra clicks to get to the album to view the pictures. You could even name the album "old camera roll"

3. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so does that mean the only way to do it is having a separate album? I was hoping that I could just keep keep it under the same name and just keep adding to it with the new iPhone.

One other question. Voicemails transfer over to the new phone since they'd be on a server correct?

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

yes, they are on the carriers server your simply accessing that server to listen to/look at your voicemail

5. Wegmans macrumors member

If you've backed everything up correctly through iTunes, it should all copy over identically. I've been doing it since the 3G and have had 3 different models, and everything copies over perfectly. I've got 4,000+ photos in my photo roll, for example.

6. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

I didn't want to restore as backup though and that's the route I assume you're speaking of.

7. Wegmans macrumors member

Well no matter what you'll be restoring from some sort of backup on your computer... you can always tell iTunes to only sync your contacts and photos.. do you think that would help? The alternative I guess is to just use iPhoto to copy all the old photos to the new camera reel..

for the Contacts, you could always sign up for MobileMe and then cancel it before the free period runs out.

Good luck!

8. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Not as concerned about the contacts because I know they are stored on my macbook in Address Book so they'll be safe. I've never seen the camera roll on my computer and have no idea where its stored. What I'll probably end up doing is trying to find a way to store all my pictures in iPhoto in a separate album as a backup and see what happens after I restore as new and try to do my first sync. I'm hoping it stores camera roll somewhere like it stores my phonebook and it'll populate. I know I'll lose app info but I'm not as concerned about that.

9. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Asking out of curiosity, not to be a troll--why not restore from backup? What's the downside of that?

I've never had any issues when doing this on previous iPhone upgrades.

10. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

The reason I want to is because I read on these forums last year when the 3gs came out that it was better to start from scratch since people were having problems with battery life etc. Also for me I want to is because I jailbroke my phone so I just want to make certain nothing is left over from the jailbreak.

11. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have to make a folder for the camera roll on your MB and then sync them. There is no way to get them in the camera roll on your iPhone (w/o jailbreaking or restoring from a backup) and they’ll be added as a separate album when synced.

13. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

no they won't be on your camera roll unless you restore form backup. You can put them in an album though.

14. Wegmans macrumors member

When you plug your iphone into your comp, try going to iPhoto and clicking on your iPhone. I think it should list all the photos that are on there (if you have a lot, it will load slowly) and then you should be able to just copy the existing photos to a separate Event, and then later copy them back to the iPhone 4's photo reel? I'm sure you'll be able to get it to work for you!