iPhone 4 camera vs Macbook camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by panamax, Aug 23, 2010.

1. panamax macrumors newbie

I have to make a video documentary for a school assignment, I won't bother going into details about it.
    I wanted to get the best quality audio and video quality I can with the hardware I already own.
    I have a Unibody Macbook 5.1, this has all stock hardware except for the harddrive that I have replaced.
    The competition is my shiny new iPhone 4, with the awesome headset they come with.

So what I need help with is what will give me the best video quality and what will give me the best audio quality.

2. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

The iPhone 4 without a shadow of a doubt. Not only that it'll be much more practical to use :)

3. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

i got my iphone4 last week. Went to a coupl of weddings on the weekend and one where i helped a friend dj. Took some video and the quality is crazy amazing. I was really surprised about the audio because we were right beside these massive speakers. No distortion at all. One tip when you're using the video... tap the area you want to focus on and you might have to do it more than often especially if you're moving around but all in all the video has come out amazingly, far better than my 10.1 mp camera...

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This will make things harder but if you want the best quality you should record video with the iPhone but audio with the Macbook.

Get some kind of cheap mic with a mini connector on the end and record it somehow...not sure if iMovie or Garage Band will do it...but I'm sure there are some kind of freeware audio recording apps for the Mac.

However you do it, get the audio in the Mac that way and then sync the video over it.

It will take a bit of work and you'll have to label files VERY carefully or you'll end up with a confusing mess.

But in the long run, it may be worth it. On-camera mics (or on-phone mics in this case) are usually the weakest part of any student production. Tackle that problem and you'll be well ahead of the pack.

(You only have to do this for things like interviews. If you're shooting a basketball game or swiming pool or something, the on-phone mic is fine for general sounds like that.)