iPhone 4 camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss.king, May 2, 2011.

1. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm wondering if anyone here has abandoned a point and shoot camera for their iPhone camera? Is it good enough to replace the average digital camera yet (obviously not professional grade cameras?

All the rumours about the iPhone 5 having an 8MP camera have me curious how good the iPhone 4 camera actually is? My 3GS is decent for quick snaps of things here and there but still awful compared to even a budget point and shoot camera.

On a side note, has anyone used those telescopic lenses for the iPhone, and if so, what were the results like?

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say I abandoned my point and shoot but I do use it a lot less. The iPhone 4 camera is really good for a phone camera, but IMO it's doesn't take as well of pictures as a point and shoot.

3. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

What improvements do you think it needs? Better zoom/flash? I guess it is a phone first and a camera second so it will never really be able to out-do a standard digital camera

4. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

I've stopped using my Kodak Zi8 camera. It's much more convenient to carry just a phone than to carry a phone and a camera.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've stopped using my Casio Exlim. It is a great camera, but it is just so much more convenient to use my iPhone when the quality is almost the same. Plus the video on the iPhone is so much better, so I figure why bother.

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

the only issue with the iphone camera is the white balance and it has some pink vignette/bluish center under fluorescent light

7. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

Interesting to see a bunch of you use your cameras less now.

So no one's tried the telescopic/telephoto lenses?

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

My iPhone 4 is actually better than both point and shoot cameras we own (we haven't bought a new one in a few years), so yes, it has totally replaced my point and shoot camera.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I suggest you might wish to browse this thread and look at what the iPhone 4 camera plus photo apps are capable of.
    iPhone 4 Pictures

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I've never really owned a great point and shoot camera for the simple reason that I know I'd never really carry it around with me to use it. I have used a lot of cell phone cameras though, and I will say the ip4 camera is the best that I've used. I have no issues with the photos that I take looking messed up, but that could be because I have no awesome camera to compare it against. I would think that for 90% of the picture taking that most would do, it would be just fine. Even if not, it's worth the tradeoff of not Having to Carry around a Point and shoot camera wherever you go. I will say the camera is a big selling point for me and cell phones though. It's one of the main reasons I haven't went to android yet. The iPhone cameras seem to work ally better. Here are some photos I've snapped with a range of lighting conditions.

Outside overcast.
    [​IMG]

Inside natural lighting overcast day.
    [​IMG]

Overcast day no zoom.
    [​IMG]

Overcast day with zoom. [​IMG]

Nice day:
    [​IMG]

Nice day close up shot.
    [​IMG]

It depends on what your needs are, but I think for
    The average person, it's probably sufficient.