Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
i think i over read somewhere you can use another app to upload at 720p. This is not a good solution....but i'm curious if this is true.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple baby steps. I'm already saving up for iPhone 5 and its "one more thing".. uploading raw video because now they've figured out how to do it right.

It's a long wait. As I understand, EVO owners can upload HD video over 3G, 4G and WiFi (as long as the file size does not exceed 1GB).

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Calm down. There will probably be an app soon on Cydia/Rock to enable HD uploads from wifi. You can just about bet on it.

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
I just found this out, no HD upload to youtube. LAME :/ I have a feeling either Apple will correct this or another app will come out to allow it. I hope!

torid110

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
<conspiracy theory>

It was disabled by request of AT&T. Imagine the issue they would have with 600,000+ people uploading HD videos to YouTube on launch day !

</conspiracy theory>

All joking aside, it definitely should be enabled at least on Wifi.

wishman35

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah me and a friend just realized this as well ..

The only way we have figured out how to do it was to transfer it from the iPhone to our Mac and then upload it to Youtube on the actual website.

Although it would be hella nice if someone knows a way to upload it in HD straight from the iPhone..

Anyone?

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I was going to start my own thread for this.

THERE IS A FIX!

It's called pixelpipe. It's an app store app. However I read on their twitter that they have temporarily pulled their own app because of a bug in th the thumbnail pictures.

I have pixelpipe 2.0 installed on my iPhone4 and I was able to upload high quality to YouTube. I uploaded the video 3 times. Once through the camera roll. Once from my desktop straight to YouTube. And once from pixelpipe.

I could not tell a quality difference from the desktop upload from the pixelpipe upload over 3G

I got an error the first time I tried to upload said video from pixelpipe. Low on memory, had to reboot the phone then it worked fine. Runs in the background and everything.

Keep an eye out for it to pop back up in the app store and go check out their website. This is a pretty cool app. It will upload a video to all kinds of services.

I got it for my 3GS almost a year ago. They just updated to use the multitasking API, but ut was buggy so they pulled it themselves. I think they didn't want people getting a broken version and having to wait around for th update to clear the app store approval Nazis

batitombo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Somebody here is lying.

So there's conflicting reports whether it can actually upload 720p to YouTube, with or without iMovie. So which is it?

You can't with iMovie and you can't natively. ****ing sucks!!!! I want my HD upload via Wifi!!! That was one of the reason I bought this iPhone and iMovie. I don't wanna go through my computer to do that if that's the case I'll just use my vixia cam or my T1i

UFOGoldorak

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Sad thing is utube is full of "iPhone 4 HD videos tests" uploaded straight from the phone compressed and they look like ****.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
They will fix this. It took awhile for YouTube to work properly with the 3GS too....

But I agree, this defeats the point of owning iMovie for the iPhone if you can't upload or email or SOMEHOW get the video out at HD.

I wonder if you can copy and paste it into an email to get the full resolution, just like you had to with pictures.....

EDIT: NOPE. No copy/paste to email. Well shoot. We need a good way to get HD content OFF of our phones.

macdabby

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
why not?

i ran a speed test on 3g with wifi turned off - got almost 1mb upload - my TURBO time warner cable is 2mb, and without turbo is only .5mb - so i see how it's a stretch to upload, and i can also see how AT&T wouldn't like us doing it on their network, but it's surely POSSIBLE - even though it would make lots more congestion - esp at a concert if everyone with a phone there is trying to upload.

it will take a while, but it will take a while even over wifi. im sure the option will be there to do it from wifi eventually, and 3g once the networks start catching up.

batitombo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
i ran a speed test on 3g with wifi turned off - got almost 1mb upload - my TURBO time warner cable is 2mb, and without turbo is only .5mb - so i see how it's a stretch to upload, and i can also see how AT&T wouldn't like us doing it on their network, but it's surely POSSIBLE - even though it would make lots more congestion - esp at a concert if everyone with a phone there is trying to upload.

it will take a while, but it will take a while even over wifi. im sure the option will be there to do it from wifi eventually, and 3g once the networks start catching up.

Upload speeds doesn't even come into question when there's a key feature missing! My wifi uploads are 5mbit with DOCSIS

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The new PixelPipe update rocks! Uploads all in 720p and runs the task of uploading in the background when you exit the app. A definite must-have app.

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
You can only upload 720p from a desktop. From the phone directly you can't. Even w IMovie it's a no go :(

Correct, but it doesnt matter they already said there going to add 720p uploading, its on the front page..

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The new PixelPipe update rocks! Uploads all in 720p and runs the task of uploading in the background when you exit the app. A definite must-have app.

It does as advertised, but the setup is garbage.

Scenario: If you have Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and Twitter set up through PixelPipe and you choose to upload a video - it uploads the video to ALL of your sources! You can't pick and choose the destination. Combined with a clunky and confusing UI, I'm staying away until there's a major update to this app to resolve these issues.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
It does as advertised, but the setup is garbage.

Scenario: If you have Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and Twitter set up through PixelPipe and you choose to upload a video - it uploads the video to ALL of your sources! You can't pick and choose the destination. Combined with a clunky and confusing UI, I'm staying away until there's a major update to this app to resolve these issues.

You can you add the @youtube tag if you just want to uplaod to youtube and so on. I admit it's a bit clumsy but it does work

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
You can you add the @youtube tag if you just want to uplaod to youtube and so on. I admit it's a bit clumsy but it does work

+1 works just fine for me. Want to use 1 place all the time for the vids, setup one pipe. want it to go to several, setup several. makes perfect sense to me

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA

+1 works just fine for me. Want to use 1 place all the time for the vids, setup one pipe. want it to go to several, setup several. makes perfect sense to me

there is also a default setting for each pipe setup. either default to upload or not

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Unless I'm missing something, PixelPipe is pointless because there is a 225 MB limit. Apparently my 3 min video is too large...not to mention the UI is garbage. It's a webapp in disguise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.