Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
For some reason my new iPhone 4 couldn't create a backup. So I finally just decided to restore and start over to see if that would fix it. But now I'm stuck, and can't restore. On one of my computers it gets stuck at the preparing iPhone for restore screen, then eventually gives me either a 1602 or 1604 error without ever loading the rom. On my other computer it goes through the restore process, and has the progress bar on the iPhone, then eventually give me a 3014 error and goes back to the iTunes screen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 9.2 on both, deleted and redownloaded the firmware, and searched endlessly for a solution. Nothing seems to work. Help please! I've been trying to get my new phone working for hours now, and can't get it to restore.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Aside from FULLY deleting iTunes on both comps, no...

Already did that. At least as fully as I know how. Deleted all the Apple programs from the Add/Remove programs, rebooted, then reinstalled 9.2.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
This happened to me too. I actually never got to the activation screen it just looped in restore mode. I took it to apple, they gave me a little tear off sheet and said come in tomorrow at 10 am and we will swap your iPhone. You don't have to wait in any lines. So getting it replace tomorrow. I've been trying for hours to fix it, but no avail.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Wow, after 6 hours of messing with this I FINALLY got it resolved by using Hotspot Shield. Worked first try after installing and running that while doing the restore. That's on one of my computers. The other one never did get past the 1602 or 1604 error. Whew, annoying.

linterna

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Wow, after 6 hours of messing with this I FINALLY got it resolved by using Hotspot Shield. Worked first try after installing and running that while doing the restore. That's on one of my computers. The other one never did get past the 1602 or 1604 error. Whew, annoying.

my friend I have the same problem with my new iphone 4 could you please be mor specific??
how to fix this problem

thanks
best regards
Linterna

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
my friend I have the same problem with my new iphone 4 could you please be mor specific??
how to fix this problem

thanks
best regards
Linterna

For the computer that was giving me the 3014 error I installed a program called Hotspot Shield. It's easy to find with Google. After installing that I was able to restore with no problems. I never could figure out how to get the computer with the 1602 and 1604 errors to restore.

linterna

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
For the computer that was giving me the 3014 error I installed a program called Hotspot Shield. It's easy to find with Google. After installing that I was able to restore with no problems. I never could figure out how to get the computer with the 1602 and 1604 errors to restore.

ok mate thanks for your fast answer
let me try and I will post results

regards
linterna

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
16xx errors mean you're trying to restore to a firmware no longer supported by Apple. Unless you have your SHSHs saved which I'm sure you don't. You have to restore to the latest firmware.

Lka

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
When you get an error, it's still restored. Google for latest version of Tiny Umbrella. It has a button to "Kick out of restore mode" then you'll be good to go

MzHolliWudKitti

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010

i have a friend currently having this issue. I was curious how a web shield helps with this problem. :eek:

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
i have a friend currently having this issue. I was curious how a web shield helps with this problem. :eek:

I have no idea why that solved it. But after trying everything else I read a couple posts from people saying this did it for them. So I tried it and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.