iPhone 4 car charger - help please

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by torchflameon, Dec 6, 2010.

1. torchflameon macrumors member

So yesterday I had trouble finding an iphone 4 specific car charger. They all said 3GS, and finally, I came across this.

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-USB-Charger-iPhone-CCM®/dp/B003CTDBBQ/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

It said it charges the iphone 4, but it also says that it will charge the ipad. Is this too much power for the phone. I felt like I was going to crazy looking at another review on car chargers. I hope I picked the right one. I don't want my iphone to explode.

I know it's paranoid, but I thought that someone else here would have a more solid opinion.

2. iBryton macrumors regular

It doesn't really matter if it says 3GS, 4.. because they all have the same plug-in right? The USB cord you got from your iPhone 4 is the same as the 3GS right?

Just go into Radioshack, Bestbuy, or Frys.. Frys has really great ones for cheap!

3. torchflameon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just checked apple's website, and for some, it showed what devices it worked for.

I bought the one in the link above. Do you think it will be okay, or do you think it will hurt my phone?

I apologize if it's a dumb question. Just don't want to fry my phone.

4. brofkand macrumors member

Most chargers will automatically step down amperage when they're charging a phone vs. charging an iPad. That's how the Griffin, inCase, Belkin, etc. chargers work. They're around $25 each.

Several years ago, I bought a car charger for my iPod mini off Amazon for around $10. When I plugged it into my car and iPod, the iPod shut off and never woke back up. I had to have it replaced by Apple; thankfully it was under warranty. Apparently the cheap charger shorted my dock connector or something.

From that point forward, I ALWAYS buy name brand chargers. Even if they cost $15 more, to me it's worth it.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Honestly, I think you should pony up a little more cash and just get a Griffin/Kensington/DLo charger instead. I've had nothing but issues with cheap aftermarket chargers like the one you listed. I bought a cheap one for my old iPod and it fried the battery in that. Lesson learned from that :mad: I currently use this and it works perfectly (so far) and I've also had a Griffin PowerJolt SE. Both of these worked really great and had no issues with them. If you value your phone like I do, no sense in skimping out and getting a cheap charger just to save a few bucks. In the long run, it just ain't worth it.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Take his advice.

7. django696 macrumors member

django696

I bought a griffin car charger from Walmart, I don't remember but I think it was about $16.00. It works very well and is not too bulky.

8. torchflameon thread starter macrumors member

I guess I am going to return it when amazon sends it I would have gotten the griffin charger, but someone said it wasn't charging theirs properly on the review.

I am probably just going to go buy it from ATT. It sucks how much they charge, but I think it's guaranteed by them, so I guess that's more important.

Thanks to all the advice from all of you.

9. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i found an ATT iphone charger on ebay for $7. it works great and has an extra usb port.

10. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I have bought car chargers from Monoprice and DealExtreme and they all worked very well with the iPhone 4.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Forget buying it from AT&T. Either look again on Amazon or, if you prefer, bu it from a retail store like BestBuy or MicroCenter. Probably wouldn't hurt to look online for some coupon codes too that you might be able to use on Griffin's website. No need to fork over more money to AT&T when you can get the same thing elsewhere for cheaper :p

12. Spoolin414 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The best car charger in my opinion is the INCASE Branded charger, it has two USB slots and comes with one cable which is identical to an OEM Apple cable. I can charge both of my phones at the same time and the great thing about the INCASE charger is the bottom flips open into a convenient travel charger that plugs into the wall for when your traveling. I love it. Here is a link for them, this company retails them for $35 but I sell them in my stores for $25. If anyone has any questions contact me.
    http://www.gocellular.ca/item=ic4002?track=googlebase