iPhone 4 Car Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Khryz, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend any good ones for a good price?

Could be either from a reputable website or a store I could grab one in. Also, I assume that they have to specifically support the iPhone 4 as well?

2. enklined macrumors 6502

3. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

I'm curious to hear about an iPhone 4 car charger as well.

I have an "older" Griffin PowerJolt charger that worked with the original iPhone, the 3G, and the 3GS. However, it will NOT charge my iPhone 4.

I've tried 2 different Apple USB cables and the black Griffin USB cable. When I plug it in, I hear/see the "charging" battery indicator on the screen, and it charges...

...for about :15 seconds. Then it stops charging. I don't get it.

Same thing happens to the wife's iPhone 4. Plug back in my 3GS, works great, no matter what cable I use.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Got a great deal at Macworld SF 2010, when I purchased two RichardSolo 1800 iPhone battery chargers. It came with a car charger that had two 2.0 USB ports to charge two iPhones at the same time with one car charger. We paid $30 total for both battery chargers, two USB cords (thick black cords and reinforced at the ends), two wall charger cords, and two car chargers. Best $30 I've ever spent...:cool:

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I'm not looking to buy one unless the iPhone mount I end up getting doesn't charge my phone at the same time (would rather that).

6. ellelittle macrumors member

My husbands been using an incase one that is made for the 3gs but works fine with the iPhone 4. I know that when he had the 3gs plugged in it would give some weird feedback through the car speakers, but oddly enough the iPhone 4 doesn't.

7. UneElle macrumors member

FWIW: I don't know how "old" my Griffin PowerJolt charger is but I bought it when I got my 3G almost 2 years ago. It wouldn't charge my 4 (which has a bumper), but when I exchanged the black USB/connector cord that came with the charger for one of the new(er) Apple connectors with the lower profile, it worked perfectly.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I bought a literal no name brand one from ebay with 2 USB ports for 5 bucks a while back. Pretty amazing :D.

9. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

I tried the exact same thing. Even had an extra after-market black USB cable. Still won't consistently charge. The percentage numbers go up if it's plugged in & sleeping, but won't if the screen's on. And sometimes it doesn't even charge while sleeping at all.

Tried 3 different Apple-branded USB cables too. Still nothing. Guess I'll just have to buy a new charger. Kinda sucks, but like you I don't remember how old this PowerJolt is.

All I know is that it will charge a 3GS & below, but not the iP4 no matter what.