iPhone 4 Car Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by guru_ck, Jun 27, 2010.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I'm looking for car mount that attaches to the windshield. Ideally something that can support the phone with/without a case. Any suggestions?

2. zacware macrumors member

Well, this is not the answer you are looking for. But when I had my iPhone 3GS I ordered a custom clip from ProClipUSA.com. It is amazing. They make mounts for just about every car. My mount for my Nissan attached to a seam in the dash and a seem near the radio's display. It's secure and snug. I put my iPhone 4 into my leather 3GS case and it fits snugly into my 3GS mount. (the picture is old, so that's my 3GS)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

+1. i love the proclip. i use my iphone 4 naked in my 3gs mount and it isnt as snug but it fits perfectly fine in portraint mode. though i can see that it might slip out if you drive with it in landscape mode.

4. Xaximus macrumors member

I'm also interested in suggestions for an iPhone 4 car mount, but specifically something that will work with a case. I need something that allows the iPhone to be turned horizontally, and nothing specific to a certain car model.

5. iManzana macrumors newbie

6. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would just make us a custom mount and sell it for a billion dollars. Motorola has a nice one for the Droid. :(

7. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

8. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an Arkon universal mount as well but have found that the phone often falls out when pushing my car or taking sharp turns. Has anyone tried their new iPhone specific mount to see if this occurs?

9. AronB macrumors newbie

Griffin WindowSeat

I bought a Griffin WindowSeat (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/windowseat) two years ago for my 3G. It came with cradles for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G(S) and iPod Touch 2nd Gen. If you check the Griffin site they state that they currently have no plans to produce an iPhone 4 cradle. Since the iPhone 4's dimensions (length x width) are similar to the original iPhone I thought I try the original iPhone cradle with my iPhone 4. While not a perfect fit, it's pretty darn close - holds the iPhone 4 quite securely.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

11. cdebnil macrumors regular

I see you're in California. It's illegal to put anything on the windshield and you'll get stopped if you do. Probably go with a Proclip or Arkon. I went with a mix of the two here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956858

12. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I'd say cops don't really look out for this. I had the Griffin WindowSeat car mount for my 3GS on my windshield for a year and didn't get pulled over once.

13. cdebnil macrumors regular

Agree they don't pull you over only for that, but I personally have had that ticket added on after being pulled over for speeding.

14. Sandram macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Car Mount

You mention wanting a holder ' not specific to any particular car model'. Try the Spiderpodium by breffo (www.breffo.com). You can basically use it in any car with any phone, in any position! Plus. It's way cool! S:)

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

I just ordered one of these looked at it a couple times. I just decided to give a try. I like the fact you can use it for multiple applications.

16. tkao2025 macrumors regular

Anybody try the Griffin WindowSeat car mount? It looks nice enough and it looks like it can be used with a case on the IPhone 4. I'd like to buy a car mount whereby I can bring it with me on trips and be able to use in any rental car.

17. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Don't bother with it. It's the worst car mount I've ever had. It's constructed very very poorly and feels very cheap, roatating the phone is a pain in the ass I thought the mount was going to snap. The suction couldn't even hold my iPhone 4, I guess the phone is too heavy for it. I would've returned it but they charge a 20% restocking fee + you gotta pay return shipping, plus I liked the hands-free AUX mic it comes with.

I ordered another car mount, made by Satechi and it works really well. I'd highly recommend it.

Here's a link: http://www.satechi.net/satechi-item.php?item=B002K9IPOC&cat=IPO&sub=

18. pbkiller macrumors regular

Well, I was looking for a similar solution and I found this: http://www.dexim.net/US/products/car/DCA166.html. Until now this is the best looking car mount that I have found. Will order this today. Anybody else that can share experience/reviews from this unit?

19. tkao2025 macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion....I'm just wondering with the satcehi mount, could you use a case with it or it has to be a naked Iphone? From the looks of the picture, it looks like there's not much room for a case.

20. D3lta macrumors 6502a

A case won't fit with the cradle that's in the iPhone 4 website pic, but I'm not using that cradle anyways. The phone has to be slid in from the top; I didn't have enough space between the window and cradle, so I ended up using the second cradle which should work with a case.

It opens up pretty wide, so I think pretty much any case will fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. tkao2025 macrumors regular

22. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

I loved my spiderpodium so much that i bought the spiderpodium tablet stand for my iPad too!!

(www.breffo.com)

23. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I've had a window mounted griffin I bought at the Apple store when I bought my 4 two years ago. It worked great for about a year and a half, basically mounted it in my windshield and never took it back off. But, a few months ago the suction cup had hardened and yellows in the sunlight and it no longer sticks. It's about 18 months of being in direct sunlight (parked outside), so I'm not complaining, but just an FYI. If you park it outside, probably a good idea to take it off when not in use (if you go that route).

As it's been pointed out, check your local laws as many don't allow a windshield mounted setup.

24. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

So Versatile

thanks for the idea! i've had one for my camera and didnt think to use it in the car.
    great idea:eek: