iPhone 4 carry question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dawgfang, Jul 10, 2010.

1. dawgfang macrumors member

I've started to carry my new iPhone with no case in my pocket. I've noticed lint collecting in the bottom speaker holes.
    How can I clean that out? Any suggestions?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Pull your pockets out when you wash your pants. ;)

I just blow on it, or use a plastic toothpick to clear out the crevices. I think some people use canned air.

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? You can't even attempt to try and figure that out yourself? :rolleyes:

4. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Maybe dip the bottom of the phone into water, or even acid, to try to dissolve the lint. I think it would be fine as longs as you didn't get the phone up to the speaker hole, cause then the water or acid would drain into the phone because it has a place to flow.*

*Do not attempt. Your warranty may be voided and phone will no longer work. But the lint will be gone.

//Turn off childlike writing and grammer.//

How about a small soft brush or some canned air, or even the edge of a piece of paper. So many options!

5. dawgfang thread starter macrumors member

Let me rephrase for you. What have people here had the most success doing to get rid of pocket lint in small places on the iPhone 4? Is that better?

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

I'm with the other guy.... You really had to come into a forum to ask how you might clean your phone?
    That being said I use a toothpick to clean all areas, even in the 32pin connector area.

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

To clean the gunk from the screen on the earphone part of my old 3G, I used a piece of artists' eraser (the grey stuff for charcoal that is moldable like clay). I gently forced it into the opening and the gunk stuck to it. I hadn't realized how much that gunk was blocking the sound, but that got it nice and clean.

8. rsnaider macrumors member

I have carried all 3 of mine naked in my pocket (only item in that pocket ever). 3G, 3Gs, and I4. I have the lint build up and never had any issues.

Just blow it on with your mouth and the lint will not be an issue.

When I swapped my I4 from my 3Gs and had to remove the sim, the 3Gs sim tray was full of lint, but once again, no issues in the year I had it.

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

You got 2 extra?

This is a stupid thread...

10. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

stick your phone in the microwave on 50% power for about 2 minutes facing up. turn phone over to other side and repeat.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Your criticism reveals your refusal to look in the mirror. Insecure?

12. SpartanTX117 macrumors newbie

Wow really not enough common sense to come up with a solution for this.... What is this world coming to. Just use a cheap soft bristled toothbrush... That what one Apple Genius at my local store uses and it works great...

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would these suggestions work for my belly button too?

14. dawgfang thread starter macrumors member

I have a solution - looking for a better one. I do appreciate the suggestion though. Did the Apple Genius offer that tip up or did you ask?

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

A vacuum does a much better job than blowing the dust into the phone. :(

Just don't suck the guts out of the phone. Take it easy and it will do a good job. Blowing dirt and sometimes liquid from the can into the phone is not much of a solution. :eek:

16. Hawksterman macrumors newbie

Lint gets beyond the ports

The cleaning choices are fairly simple.

But I can tell you that the lint gets far beyond the ports. I recently replaced the glass on my 3G. I have carried that phone in my pocket for over a year, and cleaned the ports routinely. But when I pulled the front off to begin the glass replacement, there was lint and dust in several places throughout the inside of the phone, far beyond the ports. Some of it was attached to surfaces and even canned air didn't clean it completely.

On the new 4, removal of the back is very easy and the interior can be cleaned. But on the older models, the best choice is probably to clean the ports even more often than what appears necessary. Get rid of the lint before it can work its way into the interior of the phone.

17. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

blu tack works great for getting lint and dust out of phones,

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I use this ultrathin leather case.

No clip, no padding, just high quality thin leather. The phone slips in quick and easy, then into my pocket. Keeps the phone nice and clean.

http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphone-4-cases/ultraslim/