Iphone 4 Case 101 - lessons for a new iphone owner

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by maflynn, Feb 25, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, let me be the first to say that I'm overwhelmed by the volume, style and selection that the iPhone has for case selection. Coming from the droidx, I only had a couple of choices, now I'm inundated with too many, so much so that my head is spinning.

First off is there a consensus on the style, what are the pros/cons of each style. There seems to be four types of cases:
    • The soft rubbery/silcone type that you fit over phone
    • The two piece hard style
    • The rubber band type, that just goes around the edge
    • The slider style that you slide into the case but given the glass back, and scratching I think this type has fell out of favor.

I like a thin case but I want to protect the back from scratches and cracks. I currently have a ballistic case that I picked up at the AT&T store when buying my phone. I'm planning on getting the full ghost armor protection this weekend when I go to the mall, so I don't know if case selection will be impacted because of that.

Aside from the various styles, there also appears to be a plethora of manufacturers. Who are the generally best, or top rated. That will help me (and others reading this thread) narrow the search criteria

Thanks for putting up with my noob questions, but as I search, there seems to be so much information that my head is spinining

2. Grimes macrumors regular

I'm a big fan of my SGP Ultra Thin (http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/...gp-iphone-4-case-ultra-thin-matte-series.html), by far it is my favorite case I've tried/seen. It protects the back and sides from scratches while not covering any part of the front of the phone, which I really like.

I also tried a bunch of different bumper style cases with front and back screen protectors, but they all seemed underwhelming to me.

Everyone has their own preferences though ;)

3. melpote macrumors member

melpote

I just love the otterbox, even though it makes the phone feel like a tank-LMAO.
    I saw some very cute ones on apple.com that I may get later. I just dropped $50 for my otterbox, so I will wait to get another one until this one loses it's flavor. :rolleyes:

4. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

dont forget about the aluminum cases, they usually alter your signal strength..;)

5. Walse macrumors member

If you are looking at amour protection, your ballistic HC should do the job well already. Unless you find bulk a hassle.

I'm using a Seidio Rugged now for the i4, nice protection less the front faceplate like the otterbox. Good holster as well.

I have a hardcandy chrome which actually decreases the signal strength when the phone is in it. Stay clear of this case.