iPhone 4 case - best protection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by slk9489, Aug 23, 2010.

1. slk9489 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently bought an iPhone 4, which takes 3 weeks to ship. This at least gives me time to get a case.

Are there any good cases that provide the best protection with the iPhone 4?

After seeing pictures and my friend's iPhone with giant cracks in it after falling just once, I'm very worried that I'll be stuck with a $200 paperweight after accidentally dropping it once. I drop my iPhone 3G all the time and it's fine, but the glass shell worries me.

Any good suggestions? Are the free cases that come from Apple any good (to resolve the reception issues)? Thanks.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Well, there are many cases that you can get, but if you want the best protection, then get an Otterbox case. You can literally throw your iPhone at full force at a wall, and both it and the case will be fine. They're super bulky though, but if you're worried about dropping your iPhone, then it's worth it for the protection.

3. wodeh macrumors regular

OtterBox Defender. Hands down. Reviewed and pictured here: http://www.gadgetoid.com/2010/08/13/otterbox-defender-for-iphone-4-review/

Yes, it'll make your iPhone twice as thick, and bulky as hell. But it turns heads more than a naked iPhone, and is definitely, definitely protective.

The only downside, it isn't waterproof. Although a lot of people have sworn by its water retardent properties- IE: their iPhones have survived drops into puddles when inside an OtterBox.

I didn't test the case by throwing it against the wall, but as my review mentions my three year old daughter has owned an iPhone 3G for almost a year now, encased within an OtterBox defender, and it still lives. If that's not a testament to its durability, then I don't know what is!

If bulk isn't your thing, you could try the commuter: (photos, but no review yet) http://www.gadgetoid.com/2010/08/23/otterbox-commuter-iphone-4-case-review/

It's still bulky, but not nearly as much as the Defender. Yet it still boasts a plastic-shell/rubber case combo that's pretty protective. It doesn't have the excellent front/built-in screen protection that the Defender does, though.

Generally. Just don't accidentally drop your iPhone.

4. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Speck CandyShell. About half the size of the Defender, and just as good for the average person.

5. missygal Guest

missygal

I agree this is a great case and seems like it offers great protection !

6. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

If you don't mind a scratched up back and flaking bits of rubber 10 minutes after you put it on, then yes, the Candyshell is great. ;)