iPhone 4 case otterbox commuter vs. Switcheasy capsule rebel

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bmtrimp, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Bmtrimp macrumors newbie

Title says most of it. Which one is better? Otterbox commuter or switcheasy capsule rebel.

2. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

Im currently using an Otterbox Commuter and its a decent case... the silicone inside does gets softer and stickier with prolonged use; it no longer slides in and out of pockets as easily... the back is flat which brings me to the Switcheasy Rebel... the back of the Switcheasy is not flat and bothers some people; you cant lay it flat... the inner TPU does feel and hold up better than the silicone of the Commuter...

3. Bmtrimp thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like the otterbox silicone would catch lint easily and also allow it to get in between the case and phone. I like the look of the otterbox but i was afraid of the silicone coming loose over time and collecting pocket lint. The switcheasy case looks as it has a nice tight fit but it doesn't sit flat (as you stated) and the tight fit and hard plastic doesn't seem like it would offer up much impact absorption.

Anyone unfortunate enough to have experience with a drop with either case? I'm more worried about durability (from being carried in a pocket) and impact resistance. Aesthetics are second to those although I hate covering up the iphone but I don't want to shell out the cash that it would cost to replace it.

4. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Never dropped my phone in the Rebel but did use it for a week. Didn't hate it but the spine did annoy me. It feels odd in a pair of tight jeans.

I did drop my phone in a Commuter though. Hit bottom corner side on concrete while I was at a concert. No damage at all. Not even a scrape mark.

Of the 2, the Commuter is probably your best bet. I hate the exposed Apple logo but actually like everything else. Yes the silicone does attract some lint but it does wipe away easy. I also like the integrated port covers. I found the separate pieces that are included in the Rebel to be easily lost and difficult to get out.

5. bizfox macrumors member

I have a black Capsule Rebel and it has sustained a few drops on the cement without any harm on the iPhone and the case itself. It slips inside my purse (and tight jeans) easily, too, without getting any lint (if there are any, it can easily be swept away with a microfiber cloth or hand). I normally hold my iPhone when using it, so the spine on the back does not bother me. Another thing, the Capsule Rebel works great with my Kensington sync/charging dock. The Commuter, with its attached port protectors, was tough to dock (at least, for me). Just some things to keep in mind... overall, I would say both the Switcheasy and Commuter are good cases. If you like a uniquely-designed case that can dock easily, then the Switcheasy is for you. If you're the type who prefer a flat back with an exposed Apple logo, then choose the Otterbox. Either way, both cases are durable enough for everyday use, so you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

6. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Love my CapsuleRebel. The fit around the phone is really snug (kept sand out at the beach!), and the case does a great job at protecting from drops (I have a nasty habit of putting my phone on my lap in the car or while in a restaurant, forgetting about it, then suddenly standing up only to hear the horrifying sound of my phone clattering to the ground/parking lot/concrete). Happy to report that my phone as not a scratch on it. The inner layer of softer polymer seems to be very efficient at absorbing impacts while maintaining its original shape and subtle sponginess. I don't mind the spine because I rarely use my phone while its laying flat on a table. I find the case to be ergonomic when holding the phone in landscape mode.

A friend of mine bought a Commuter before she saw my case, and now she says she regrets it. The silicon around the edges allows dust to get between it and the phone, it attracts lint, and gets loose when it heats up (from being held, sunlight exposure at the pool, long Angry Birds sessions, etc). She just sticks it in her purse, but I'd imagine that the silicon would snag on your pocket if you kept it in your jeans. The Rebel on the other hand is very pocket friendly. With all that said against the Commuter, from what I've seen it affords her similar drop protection to my Rebel (we both dropped are phones off of a bar onto a restaurant's floor within minutes of each other. Was not planned).

I just don't like silicon cases, because they all seem to have the same problem due to the properties of the material itself. IDK, if the port covers on the Commuter will weaken and tear with time like I've experienced with the Defender. The Commuter is also thinner than I expected it to be. Its not brick-esque like the Defender, sporting dimensions that are much more in line with the Rebel. As far as looks go, I'd have to go with the Rebel. I find OBs to be bland and ugly, but I realize the Rebel is a little too "Alien" or "Batman" for some people's tastes (my friends call it my batphone). To each their own.

I think in the end you'll enjoy either case and the protection they offer. If you're the type that likes to use their phone while it's lying flat on a table, go with the Commuter. Otherwise, the Rebel is a sick case.