iPhone 4 (CDMA) Sleep/Wake rattling

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ZMacintosh, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah, got the sleep/wake button rattle...no I didnt discover this by uselessly and violently shaking my phone nor is it specifically coming form the camera focus.
    After a call I went to tap out of it and set the phone down and noticed something click/move and barely tapped on the sleep/wake button and noticed it is definitely alittle loose.
    and seeing how its been popping up since the first announcement of the iPhone 4 seems either normal or just a lot of bad installs of the sleep/wake button from the factory.

I went into two verizon stores, one said out of stock, another said 'no can do' since it was a pre-order (so?!) and initially I called verizon wednesday to bring up the issue to get it swapped out; before when I had issues theyd easily dispatch a phone give me X amount of days if it wasnt returned charge on account but theyd allow me to activate the new device thensend the old one in. apparently not the case anymore.
    Being a verizon customer for going on 10 years now, i'd have to say the worst handling of a situation in my experience, there have been a few not so great but nothing that wasnt resolved.
    At anyrate I spent the better half of the evening on hold with Verizon trying to resolve the issue and all they could offer me is i repurchase the device through them on the phone theyll send it out and when they receive the old one they will return my money in the form of debit/gift card....!?!?!?
    The only reason I went back through verizon was apple told me it might be best since you bought it from them initially they do a full retail swap out, im not sure what the difference between Apple's black box refurb CDMA iPhones vs Retail would be.

also, anyone have luck with swapping out the iPhone for a none rattling sleep/wake switch?

2. patp Guest

Go to an Apple store and they will swap it out for you. If they deem it to be actually defective. I've pretty much decided that Verizon store employees don't have the deep training on Apple products that you'll find at the Apple store.

It's an Apple product, they're the ones to handle it properly.

3. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah, so is apple going to swap it for a retail phone or refurbished model?

4. Macvy Ricky macrumors member

I went to the apple store in the mall. They promptly agreed to replace my device but the new one that they brought out had the same rattling so I decided to keep the one I have. But then I walked into the verizon store and NONE of the phones on display had even tiny bit of rattling.

Sigh.

It was device from a blackbox - they are NOT going to give you a phone in its retail packaging. period. This phone is too new to have refurbished models. So I am assuming the ones in black boxes are new at the moment. Apple is also very good with its refurbished products. You wont be able to tell the difference.

5. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Alright I wasnt sure if there was a difference or what the deal was. if i needed the MEID or Serial Numbers on the box for any other reason.

The apple store was alot farther than the 4 verizon stores in the area and i should have just went the extra hour to the apple store, after going back to one Verizon store today had some employee grabbed my phone and shake it like a magic 8 ball, and say 'oh yeah i can hear it', well yeah no **** lmao. then said 'one of the floor models did that and nothing they can do', so went to another one they swapped it on the spot saying it was bizarre they didnt swap it out and tried making a call with the phone and first thing they said was wow the rattle is pretty irritating when on the phone as any slight bump would make it shift as it was not properly in the slot.

But the one i got is absolutely solid. lesson learned i guess lol.

6. MattMan4494 macrumors newbie

I have the sleep/wake button rattle as well. I took it into Verizon this evening and the employee there took it, agreed it was in fact rattling then replaced my iPhone on the spot.

Unfortunately the new one rattles as well. The guy at Verizon basically took out the new iPhone, tapped on it, said it was still rattling, and said oh well here's your new iPhone. :(

7. Hippoone macrumors newbie

Sorry to bring this up after 8 months.. I was just curious and started to notice the rattle on my phone. I went into verzion and the guy was an *******... told me that if I was within 14 days then I can swap it for a new one and i said no. then he said apple replaces it with a new phone (Bulls***, I know it's refurbished) but anyways I was wondering if you got it replaced within 14 days of purchasing it or it was after? thanks

8. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I got mine replaced a few weeks ago after I had the rattle. I noticed it after it vibrated on my desk. I shook it a little and heard it.

The Apple store replaced it with no issues.

I had the phone since the Verizon launch.

Make a genius appointment. You should be good to go.