iPhone 4 charge time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanZy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I swear even when I had my 3GS, the iPhone just seems to charge so fast!

Because of this, my question is : When it gets to 100%, is it actually at 100%? Or should I leave it plugged in for a while longer.

It really just seems like it is not getting the full charge it needs to

2. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Leave it plugged in for at least an hour after reaching 100%. When I need to charge, I just leave it hooked up overnight.

4. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am definitely avoiding leaving it plugged in all night. That absolutely raped my 3GS battery. I learned that is definitely not something you should do lol

5. michaelfields macrumors regular

does that mess it up?? I do that all of the time :O

6. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I have heard and read, leaving a battery plugged in to a charger for long periods will break it down over time.

7. michaelfields macrumors regular

I thought the lithium ion battery was different and it was bad to let it die...

8. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

It actually is beneficial to let the battery completely die, and then charge it to 100%. From the apple website:

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

It says at least once because its not practical to do it everyday, but I think even a couple times a month really helps.

9. michaelfields macrumors regular

ah yeah I usually let it die once or twice a month just from habit from other phones but any time I'm at home I have to have my 3G on the charger. I literally take it off of the charger and watch it drop from 100 to 86% from sending two text messages. It's ridiculous.

I'm sure once my iP4 gets here next week I won't have to worry about having it plugged in all of the time.

10. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you upgrade to 4.0?

Man my 3GS is the same way. It is TERRIBLE.

And I bought my new iPhone 4 yesterday at 2pm, and I was heavily using it from 80 percent and it just died today at 1:30pm.

11. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

maybe 10 years ago

this is 2010 now baby boy

12. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Does it hurt to leave the iPhone on charge all night?

Nope. Think of it not as power being sent to the iPhone, but rather the iPhone pulling power from the outlet as it needs it. You can leave it plugged into the wall or the computer as long as you like.

13. michaelfields macrumors regular

yeah 4.0 is what killed my phone. it's horrible. it's beyond slow I've been having to hard reset it every 12 hours or so just so it'll work doing basic things like typing a text message.

I ordered a 4 from apple on june 29th that was supposed to be here on july 26th then it didn't ship for two days after it was supposed to because apple and at&t couldn't get their stuff straight and after a two hour conference call with both of them and at&t saying there's no problem ship it I wound up having to cancel it and go into the at&t store to order one.

So now I'm waiting for that.. He said two weeks or less so it should be friday at the latest.. Hopefully.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

One the charger senses it is charged, it turns off anyways so leaving it in wont do anything.

15. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah my 3GS is crap because of it.

I returned my iPhone 4 last friday because I was going to get a white one, and then they announced it wasn't coming out.

There was no way I could wait so I picked up another one at the Apple store. They are the best place to go right now. If yours doesnt work out, you should definitely go to a store.

16. michaelfields macrumors regular

yeah if I was still in chicago I would've definitely done that, but I'm in the middle of nowhere texas for my girlfriend until october so I don't have the benefit of apple stores anymore haha