Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I bought the iPad (which I am loving btw!!) on launch day but was a little upset when the cable was different than the one I had been using for my iPod touch for years. A couple of accessories kind of just went down the toilet.

So I did a little searching and couldn't find anything, but do you guys have any idea which cable the new iPhone will use? It would be very convenient for me if it used the iPad cable as that would give me a second one without having to go out and buy it separately.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I don't understand all the details (I wish I did) but I know that the usb cable for the iPad is higher energy (of some sort) and is backwards compatible with previous idevices but the old cables don't charge the iPad.

GadgetGeek71

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2010
Wherever I May Roam
If I remember correctly, Lord Jobs was pointing out the physical buttons and connections in one of the keynotes and he said "...the same connector..."

If Apple pulls a BlackBerry (switching from a USB Mini to a USB Micro)...they'll have a bunch of pissed off people.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I don't understand all the details (I wish I did) but I know that the usb cable for the iPad is higher energy (of some sort) and is backwards compatible with previous idevices but the old cables don't charge the iPad.

The cable is the same. The connector on the end of the cable is the same.

The only difference is the higher-wattage "power brick" it's connected to that gets plugged into the wall. (Note the size difference)

But the USB cable that's plugged INTO it (and into your iPad on the other end) is interchangeable with other cables.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence

The wall adapter is a higher wattage, yes, but I am fairly certain that the cable itself is not limited by power use.

monksealpup

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu, HI, USA
People need to stop guessing and spreading these guesses as fact.

The cable is perfectly capable of carrying the 2A required for the iPad. The 2A is supplied by iPad's special adapter. The iPad pulls 2A because it has two iPhone batteries. The iPhone 3GS (and presumably the iPhone 4) draws 1A because it only has one battery.

You can use the iPad's adapter to charge the iPhone (the device determines how much current it wants to draw). You CAN use the iPhone's adapter to charge the iPad, but not at full speed (the iPad requests 2A, but the adapter only supplies 1A).

All voltages involved are 5V (so discussing wattage is equivalent to discussing amperage).

Note for the nitpickers: the iPad's adapter supplies 2.1A. Bite me.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks guys! I appreciate the clarification. I was told that the old cables didn't charge the ipad (like it says on the device when it is plugged in) but I guess I didn't understand it. Thanks, Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.