iPhone 4 Charging Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by geezumsdude, Sep 29, 2014.

1. geezumsdude, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

geezumsdude macrumors newbie

Hello,

My friend has an iPhone 4 that started to charge very weirdly. She charged it overnight and it only displays 5%. She has tried 3 different chargers. It can turn on, but the battery drains extremely fast. After it is on for 3-4 minutes the battery displays 2%. I think this sounds like the battery is dead, but like to input from you guys. Would it be wise to buy a battery from ebay & try to replace it?

Thanks

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

It definitely sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. I had replaced my iPhone 4's battery back in the day and the new battery did not work. They had multiple batteries and you have to buy the same model that you remove from your phone. The 4 was not hard to change, but never throw your battery out as you need the information off of it.

3. geezumsdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how to find out which is compatible? Or is the only way to open it?

4. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

You'll need to open it as there is no way until you see the battery. Use the breakdown instructions and I'm serious, the iPhone 4 is really easy. You can always ask at apple because you're sure to get a quality battery. Some of those online are really cheap and may only last 1 charge cycle. Best to find one on amazon to help protect yourself from poor quality.

5. geezumsdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll let her know. She bought one off amazon, but there aren't any Apple stores in the area unfortunately.

6. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Hopefully she looked at the model because there are several iPhone 4 batteries and they're not compatible with different iPhone 4 models.

7. geezumsdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately replacing the battery did not work. It was the same model too.

8. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

If you got the wrong battery, it will simply discharge in about 30 mins or not charge at all.

----------

Ok, so thinking over this, I can't imagine it being a software issue, but I could always be wrong. At this point, I would say to have her back up her phone, do a restore and set it up as a new phone. Try charging it and see how it acts. The other possibility is that the phone has not recognized the new battery charge yet. I don't know how to reset that.