iPhone 4 Charging Issues - Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jordan.b, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jordan.b macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with a serious issue I have with my iPhone.

It all started about 2 weeks back when I plugged my wall charger into my phone, only to find that it would not charge. Since then I have read through numerous posts regarding curing charging issues, but the problem persists.

The only way I can get my phone to charge is if I plug the wall charger in, then turn the phone on and off whilst the charger is still connected. To date I have tried the following:

*Replaced battery with new
    *Replaced charging assembly with new
    *Reset iPhone by holding home & sleep buttons
    *Undertaken a full factory reset (Numerous times)
    *Held the sleep / home button whilst connected to computer, then let go of the home button in an effort to connect to itunes (I get the itunes logo come up on the phone, but it will not connect).
    *Tried several different chargers

When I connect my phone to computer by USB I get an error message stating that the device can't be recognized. (I've tried connecting to several different computers)

I've had the phone for 13 months, so it is no longer under warranty. If anyone could suggest anything to resolve the issue it would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Jordan

2. jordan.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestions?

Or should I just pay the £100 excess on my insurance to have the phone repaired / replaced?

3. jordan.b thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jordan.b thread starter macrumors newbie

5. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

The charging fuse is damaged, possibly by water. Seeing as it's too costly to replace the fuse, you should restart your iPhone when you want to charge it. If you want, you can buy an unlock code on eBay for $9, sell it as used with issues, and then buy a used one for a slightly higher price.

6. jordan.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your reply, and the confirmation that the issue cannot be fixed cheaply. I think I will sell on ebay and buy the 5.