iPhone 4 charging port is broke?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ri0ku, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

In the past 5 mins I have just realised today my phone stopped charging.. i thought it was the charger but it works fine in my ipad...

After fiddling around I have found that if i put the connector in the phone all the way (As normal) it no longer charges... so now I have to pull it out slightly and fiddle around until it starts to charge...

Seriously annoyed by this... 6 weeks and already broke.

I am slightly confused as to what to do.. its on a contract with Tesco mobile... but if Apple give me a replacement... wont the imei number be different and will tesco stop my sim working in a new phone?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

nope, will be fine

3. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

When i picked up my iPhone 4 from Tesco 3 weeks ago i asked what the policy was regarding any hardware issues etc and I specifically mentioned if I could take it to Apple - since the Apple store was closer to me than the Tesco store. They told me that Apple wouldn't do anything and that if I had a problem I should call the phone shop directly (they gave me the number) and then bring it in. He said that when they do get stock in (we all know how limited Tesco availability is!) they put aside phones for any customers with defects FIRST and whatever is remaining gets offered for sale. So the good thing is that the next time they get stock, your new spare phone will be kept aside before anyone who walks in looking to buy one gets a chance of having it.

The only bad thing is that if you jailbreak etc - its probably on a firmware that cant be jailbroke now (4.0.2/4.1). Also the iphones are personally identified to Tesco. I used the RedLaser app to scan the barcode of my box and not only did it identify it as an iPhone 32GB black but also a Tesco one. So if you want to keep the 1GB of data etc I suggest you go to Tesco to get it fixed cause if you just get a replacement from Apple - your calls/texts will be fine but you might not get the 1GB of data since the handset isnt in Tescos database.

4. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Technically that is correct. Under UK law the purchase contract you have is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. And so if anything goes wrong, you should go to the place you bought it from.

Although Apple is a little different as not many manufacturers also have retail stores that provide repairs to any owner of their product.

I'd imagine you'd be fine in reality, as I'd think the 1GB of data is linked with the sim card, not the physical phone (I used an O2 PAYG iPhone sim in a mobile dongle for a while as it had unlimited data).

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

imei has nothing to do with it

yes because the stock was ment for tesco and the phone is locked to tesco, other than that there is no relation between the sim and the phone, you could take that sim and put it into any unlocked phone in the world and it would work fine.

but yes you should take it to the shop you bought it from as that is how warrenties work in the UK.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That is how SOGA works in uk, the manufacturer provided warranty is in addition to this, so you can either take it to apple or tesco. though after you've taken it to apple, then it might get murkier over who then has to deal with it, if they've replaced it.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Had this problem with my iPad; got it replaced in store without any questions.