iPhone 4 charging problem. Bug or defected battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tcomcp33, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tcomcp33 macrumors newbie

I've noticed on my iPhone 4 that when I plug it to charge for the night, when I wake up it shows 100% but as soon as I unplug it, it jumps to 98 or 99%. When I plug it back it shows 100% again. Reboot returns charge level back to 100% even if not pluged.
    I also noticed that when I plug my iPhone not to computer but into socket, phone shows "charge complete" with plug icon and after some time it switches to charging icon with this small "bolt" on it. It doesn't do it always (today didn't, yesterday did) but just noticed it while observing this other issue.
    What do you think is it soft bug or do I have defected battery? Do I neet to get my phone for replacement?
    Thanks in advance for answers.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is normal...The phone has circuitry in it so that if you leave it plugged in, it won't overcharge. If it has been connected to the charger long enough to receive a full charge, the circuitry will shut the charge down and the device starts operating on the battery. When the percent of charge drops down (on my phone its 98%), the phone will start charging again, and bring the charge back up to 100%.