iPhone 4 coma?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nvelker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. nvelker macrumors member

Didn't see a thread on this topic:

Today, three times, my IP4 did not "wake up" from sleep mode. I had to connect to a power source twice, and once to itunes. It was like the phone was in a coma. Anyone else having this problem? I read several posts on Apple.discussions today in which other users described similar issues. The link is at the bottom of the post for your edification. I made a genius appointment for Monday morning. Several people say they jut got replacement phones. I guess I wouldn't mind too much, but the phone is only 6 days old... you know? Anyone else having this problem? Am I wrong for wanting a replacement phone?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2476608&start=0&tstart=0

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I would think you should restore the phone in DFU mode and setup as new before bringing it to Apple for replacement. Sounds software related, IMO.

3. nvelker thread starter macrumors member

I did that. It still happened. After the first two attempts I did a hard restore of the phone. I guess I'll try it again this weekend.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn’t bother then. Apple’s going to ask you if you restored, so since you did, it’s up to them now.

5. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i was having similar issues with my iphone. the only way i was figuring to get it back was to reset by holding the home and lock key at the same time.

i took it to the apple store and told them what was going on, and the dude said he could swap it out but it might be a few days. then he went back and said that they actually had some in the back, so i walked out with a brand new one!

funny part is i heard other people being told they didn't have any iphones when people wanted to buy haha.

my new one is working flawlessly.

6. nvelker thread starter macrumors member

Here's another dilemma

Here's another dilemma I am having. I've restored the phone twice. It still won't wake up without holding down home&power button every so often. Happened once since restore. I am taking it to apple for a replacement tomorrow... BUT, I have a year warranty on the new iphone 4 I just bought, the very one I want to replace... if apple replaces it with a new phone, will I be able to keep the manufacturer warranty for the remainder of the year? Or will they only give me 90 days? Effectively cutting my covered period short by 9 months? I mean, they should give me a full year, right? I could technically return the phone and buy another one if they decided to short me... I just want the problem solved without a further inconvenience. What do you all think?

7. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

the terms are the rest of your original one year warranty or 90 days since the replacement, whichever is LONGER (ie in your favor).

8. Davewilks macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 was doing the exact same thing, on mine the only way to get it back was to hard reset (home+lock buttons) twice. Once and it did nothing, twice and it came back on.
    I restored the phone several times and also restored as new then didn't put anything back on it and it still did the same thing.
    I did find that putting a song on loop in the background kept the phone running!!

I took it to the Genius bar yesterday and they swapped it for a new one!