iPhone 4 coming out in Mexico this Friday.. unlocked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JorgeLomeli, Aug 24, 2010.

1. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

Hi guys. Just writing here to tell you, that the new iPhone 4 will be availabe in Mexico this friday august, 27. (in fact, some stores will be starting selling the iphone thursday at midnite).

Here in Mexico we'll have 3 options to choose: Telcel (locked), Movistar (locked) and the 3rd choice is at the Apple store web site (unlocked)

Prices have been released to the public today:

16 gb 720 us dlls (tax INCLUDED) no commitment
    32 GB 840 us dollars (tax included) no commitment

And of course you have the option to get the iphone for free if you make an 18 or 24 months contract.

This prices are official from telcel, may vary a little bit less or maybe more if you get it from Movistar or at the apple store. But from what i heard, Movistar will be having much cheaper prices than Telcel, cuz they wanna gain (or steal) new costumers from Telcel.

And btw, here you can buy as much iphones as you want, if you have the money :rolleyes:. There are no restrictions here on how many iphones you can get.

Cheers guys from Mexico! waiting for this Friday to get my new iPhone!:D

Jorge Lomeli
    Monterrey, Mexico

2. Aleks192 macrumors newbie

I'm jealous of the free with 18 or 24 month contract....

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Yah...I'd be interested in seeing what the rates are to qualify for a free phone. I'd venture on to telcel's or movistar's website if i wasnt so lazy or could read rudimentary spanish.

4. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

5. chembox macrumors 6502a

Now the drug cartel will be able to FaceTime with their clients (and enemies)! :eek:

6. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Those prices are close to the Canadian unlocked prices with 13% tax added on. (for the 32G unit, C$ 779 + 13% value-added tax (HST) in Ontario = C$ 880.27 = US$ 831.18. Likewise, the 16G unit is C$ 659 + 13% = C$ 744.67 = US$ 703.12.) The tax varies from province to province.

What are the tax rates in Mexico? Are they on a national basis or by province/state?

7. JorgeLomeli thread starter macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

16% National and 10% border cities (like tijuana, reynosa, matamoros)

BTW according to Movistar's information, you can get the iphone 4 16gb for free on a 24 month contract paying 50 bucks per month.

8. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

We don't have any iPhone-for-free plans--and our contracts are three years long.

9. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

This could be very helpful. I am traveling to Cabo inabout three weeks and was hoping to use an Amigo PAYG sim when there. Hopefully this will drive microsim availability.

Also any tips on if Amigo is the way to go for phone and data service would be appreciated. Definitely jealously the free with contract deals you guys are getting.

10. clarknick67 macrumors member

11. aerre macrumors member

Does anybody know if the Otterbox Commuter case for the iP4 is available in Mexico?

12. mac10itup macrumors newbie

Simple Question

my mom bought me an AMERICAN iphone 4 for my birthday last month, but i live in mexico! i'm going to california next month to get it from her and bring it back with me.

for some reason it has been difficult to get an answer to this question:

CAN I UNLOCK IT HERE IN MEXICO AND USE IT AS A MEXICAN PHONE?

WITH FULL FUNCTIONALITY?

and i know about the at&t viva mexico plan...i just don't want it!!!

i'd prefer to use it as my mexican phone and have service with TelCel....and i went to the telcel office and they said i can unlock it, but i'd rather have a second opinion!!!!

IS THIS POSSIBLE ??????

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Unlocked iPhones will become another smuggled commodity moved across the border :p

14. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

If it was bought in the US, it is probably locked. I am pretty sure that even if she paid full price with no contract, they still won't unlock them here.

However, you can jailbreak it and then unlock it with Ultrasn0w. Not as good as having a factory unlocked phone due to needing to be careful of software updates and whatnot (really not a huge deal, just don't update until it is said to be OK), but functionally it will work the same I think. I would check around in the Hacks forum here to make sure of everything.

15. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

my exact thoughts :eek:

16. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

17. iKrl macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 is coming tomorrow so...if you really want a case ask but tomorrow when Mexico gets the Case Program app and the premium resellers having cases

18. Aqwerfass, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

Aqwerfass macrumors newbie

This day will come))And what the price for The iPhone 4 16 G??

---------------------
    I Flight Systems

19. twitt3r macrumors 6502

We get iPhone 5 over here soon... :D iPhone 4 is so last year!

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

This thread is almost a year old. The iPhone 4 has been out in Mexico for months.