iPhone 4 Coming to T-Mobile This Week?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snoopy07, Jul 27, 2010.

1. snoopy07 macrumors member

More talk of a T-Mobile iPhone 4 has surfaced, pinning the release date down to this week!

Last week we reported that an unnamed, "highly placed" source indicated that T-Mobile USA would receive the Apple iPhone 4 sometime this year. Negotiations between Apple and the wireless carrier were said to be in an advanced stage, with the likely of an agreement residing at 80-percent. Naturally both companies have not disclosed information regarding the relationship, or any possibility of one. There was also no indication of when the phone would arrive save for a general 2010 release schedule.

However Monday brought additional rumors that the Apple iPhone 4 may actually land on T-Mobile this week. The rumored possible launch accompanies Apple's announcement that iPhone 4 will be available in 17 more countries this Friday, July 30... the same day the device is rumored to land on T-Mobile.

According to the company, consumers in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland will be able to purchase the device through authorized resellers as well as Apple's online and land-based stores.

"iPhone 4 is currently available in France, Germany, Japan, the UK and the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model. iPhone 4 will roll out to many more countries later this year and Apple will announce availability and local pricing for these additional countries at a later date," Apple said.

Although the whole T-Mobile deal is still just a rumor, so far price plans have not been "leaked." However rumors suggest that the T-Mobile iPhone 4 will not have a pay-as-you-go option--not surprising given the popularity of the device.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone-T-Mobile-smartphone,news-7587.html

2. malevolant macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised actually. With the recent "legalization" of unlocking/jailbreaking Apple might as well do it before people start jailbreaking for the ability to unlock and getting all sorts of bugs.

3. Dany M macrumors 6502

That would be a jerk move to do a month after the phone was released on another carrier plus they had two press conferences dedicated to the iphone to do that

4. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

5. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

People unlock iphones to run on T-mobile and now that the court has made it legal the best move for apple is to go to T-mobile. The iphone would only run in At&t and T-mobile so why unlock it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be nice but I dont think its going to happen.
    I dont see Apple building another iphone 4 specific hardware for Tmobile USA that will not be able to work seamlessly in other countries. And just be made tailored to Tmobile USA for their low customer base compared to a Verizon or CDMA iphone where it could bring tons of more users?
    I guess we will see but dont hold your breath.

7. malevolant macrumors 6502

Almost positive they don't have to change any hardware for it to be compatible on T-mobile...

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get 3g service on Tmobiles network with iPhone.

9. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

There is no hardware change and we are not sure if they have actually added the frequencies used by T-Mobile. The full frequency specs are not out for the iPhone 4, they just made public the one's AT&T uses. Time will tell but its looking good for T-Mobile customers.

10. malevolant macrumors 6502

I guess we will see Friday eh? :)

Personally I don't care....I'd love to see people jump ship to T-Mobile and make ATT run a bit more quick.

11. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

According to the report, T-Mo’s study centered on the 1755 – 1780 MHz band. Interestingly that is the block of spectrum T-Mobile is urging the FCC to pair with the AWS-3 block (2155-2580 MHz) and put up for auction. If the FCC did indeed pair AWS-3 with a suitable spectrum that the big magenta won via auction and purchased it, we could very well see a nationwide LTE network for T-Mo.

12. Alxvasqz12 macrumors member

where's your source that it will be released this week?

EDIT: sorry just read it

13. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The iPhone will be released to T-Mobile this Sunday, unless Apple has signed a contract with T-Mobile earlier than Sunday, whereupon it will be released before Sunday on the date the contract is signed. If Apple hasn't signed a contract with T-Mobile by Sunday, it will be released to T-Mobile later than Sunday, if Apple ever signs a contract with T-Mobile. In other words, possibly Monday.

15. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

I think the contract will be signed soon, but the release will be sometime around September 30th the final day of the free bumpers.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iPhone 4 has been taken apart and there is no 3G chip compatible with Tmobile USA 3G.
    It's not secretly there and a new slightly different model would need to be made unless they only want to use edge data but no
    3G for voice or data.

Lol:D
    Yep, you figured it all out.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is not completely true, no manufacture documentation is available to check that in fact the chip doesn't support the additional frequencies, everyone is assuming it don't since it seen to be based on the standard radio. however there are "unknown" marking on the device that could indicate that is a custom silicon.

18. applekiwipeach macrumors member

oh man.. this is depressing.... i just switched from T-mobile to AT&T after being with T-mobile for 10 years... AT&T is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced.... I did it just for the iPhone... I WANT T-MOBILE BACK!!!!!!

19. iTouch macrumors 6502

I can see it now. Hordes of people getting out of their contracts because their iPhone 4 is "defective." Then signing up with T-Mobile hoping they can get the iPhone 4 on a cheaper plan. And finally finding out it was just a rumor. Ending with dozens of threads of "Who switched to T-Mobile hoping to get the iPhone 4?" But you what would be really funny is Apple is holding all the white iPhone 4s for the T-Mobile launch.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, Im sure you belive in santa clause and the toothfairy too :D

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not really i am an electrical Engineer that actually design Telecommunication devices, The change required to operate on those frequencies isn't too much of a issue for the manufacture to do it for a company with the volumes as apple have. the only other change required would be on the antenna tuning and that happen at the manufacturing process.

edit: I am not saying that for sure that is in fact what happen on the iP4, but the possibility isn't too small. it's actually very possible. I guess we can come back here in a few months and confirm it.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I figured you would know that the iphone is a world phone that works with all popular international 3G frequencies.
    For them to change the 3G chip to a compatible one to Tmobile will only make it work with Tmobile USA's 3G band.
    And if you believe that they already added a chip with that frequency to the millions of i4's sold worldwide just for Tmobile and only you are dreaming.

23. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

It's not a "jerk" move. I predicted they would be on another carrier when they decided to move ahead all of AT&T 2010 upgrades. That was kind of a huge red flag that said that AT&T was going to lose exclusivity before the end of the year. It was probably an agreement that AT&T and Apple made to terminate early. Give us first shot at the iPhone4, then after a couple of months of sale, then you can add another carrier. By then, they've probably gobbled up the majority of those that were eligible.

And the hardware already supports the frequency range of the Tmobile. The new chip makes it a seamless transition with an unlock. Really the only ones that got shafted were those that were on T-Mobile, at the end of their contract, but really wanted the iPhone. If they had known something like this was coming down the pipes, perhaps they'd have held off switching to AT&T.......but who knows how many that really is...

And what is the supply chain looking like. Probably the only thing holding back Apple from adding T-Mobile is that they can barely keep up with AT&T demand as it is. Adding another US carrier will severely make quantities more scarce.

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Never said "change" again, a modified silicon for Apple that support those additional freqs wouldn't be such a big deal. as a world phone it support all the "standards" frequencies, it also support 2 additional freqs (emergency frequencies, one of them is only use in the US the other one in the UK) that is not abnormal on custom silicon when you order millions of chips from the manufacture.

In fact, most of those chips support many other frequencies, however in oder to keep the cost down, they spec it to a subset of frequencies and only test and certify those however the actual radio can operate to many difference frequencies.

I am not trying to create an argument here, all I saying is that you said it as a fact that the radio doesn't support those freq and that is not completely accurate .