iPhone 4 - compatibility with UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dr0000, Jun 14, 2010.

1. dr0000 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Im from UK and rather than pay an extortionate amount for the new iphone over here, I figured id look into the US market. Im jetting off to america mid july for a holiday and was considering picking up a new one of if it was going to work.

Ive done abit of research and it appears that on the previous models, it doesnt look likely/cheap to carry out such a task. Anyone know if anythings new with this model? Will I be able to turn my 02 sim into a microsim and have it working with the US model?

Thanks

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

As with previous, you'll have to jailbreak to do it.

3. dr0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Meaning its more or less cheap/free to do? (I never really looked into jail breaking for my current iphone if that is completely wrong)

4. C8XY macrumors 6502

Forget it mate, if your not in to the jailbreaking scene, you will prob be the guy who "accidentally upgraded" your phone and lost your unlock.
    There's no immediate jailbreak for this new phone, if your a basic user, stick to uk prices. Much better long term

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It's only ever so slightly cheaper to get a US iPhone. If you go the legal route and pay VAT, it would actually work out more expensive. Plus, you'll be left with a crippled phone that may or may not ever be unlocked.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

To get a No-commitment iPhone, I *think* you need to have an AT&T line.