iPhone 4 compatible bedside clock radio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JulianL, Aug 8, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm looking for an alarmclock radio that is compatible with the iPhone 4. By compatible I just mean that I don't want something where the iPhone screen keeps lighting up in the middle of the night to flash some incompatibility message (which I've heard can happen with some products). If it did have the ability to automatically put the iPhone into aeroplane mode then that would be even better (is that possible?).

The one I like the look of the best on the basis of price and looks is the Philips DC315 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DC315-05-Docking-Station/dp/B002DMLKKM) but I've read that this does have compatibilty issues with the iPhone 4. Is that true?

The other one that looks good is the Yamaha TSX-120 (http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/desktop_audio/tsx_120_white_b/?mode=overview) although that is a bit on the big side and expensive but I'm not ruling it out.

My one must-have criteria is dual alarms which can be either radio or buzzer (I set the first alarm to be radio and then 15 minutes later the second is my "final warning" buzzer). Desireable features are DAB radio and a remote control. I have a preference for an arangement where the phone docks in front of the device (like the Philips) rather than on top of it (like the Yamaha) because the in-front docking seems slightly less prone to my accidentally side-swiping the device with flailing arms while half asleep in the morning.

Do any iPhone 4 users have either of the above or can recommend other alternatives that they know to be compatible with the 4? I'm beginning to think that I need to wait a few months for manufacturers to update their ranges at which point I might get a much bigger range of options to choose from.

Since the dates of iPhone launches have become so predictable, does there tend to be a certain month when there is a flurry of accessory update announcements, maybe aligned with some major industry electronics show?

- Julian

2. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Do your email sounds work? I have the ip11 and am having an issue where my email sounds only vibrate when it's on the dock...unless I start/stop the ipod first.

4. jparris1 macrumors regular

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

no buzzing when emails come in?

6. jparris1 macrumors regular

Normal email sound plays.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Thanks. So far I'm liking mine, and just doing a quick toggle of ipod on/off and everythings working, but I suspect it should be easier than this.:)

8. driftway macrumors newbie

Hmm link does not work.
    What device is this?

And, does anyone know if there is a clock radio / dock which will play an alarm but keep ALL OTHER sounds including email/phone silenced until you wake?

thanks

9. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

I bought this one yesterday.

http://www.bostona.eu/en/tabletops_ipoddocks_duoiplus.php

No issues with the iPhone 4. Sounds pretty decent, much better than the above mentioned Sony which I compared it to. The touch sensitive ring all around it for snooze is nice, no trying to find a snooze button.

But it's also a little over twice as expensive.

10. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I have had this one for a few years:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pure-Fi-Anytime-Premium-iPhone/dp/B001FWXDZG

I absolutely loved it. Dual Alarms, no problems with buzzing, awesome "wave your hand" to snooze feature...

Unbelievably it doesn't work with the iPhone 4 + bumper even with no dock insert. It will only charge and recognize the phone if it is tilted forward forcibly which doesn't seem like a good idea. So incredibly frustrating... Anyone else have one of these and have iPhone 4 + bumper success?

11. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the advice so far.

One that I've got my eye on now, and KapitanIksrog got close to it, is the Logitech Pure-Fi Dream (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pure-Fi-Dream-Portable-speakers/dp/B0018E2FEG). One of my local stores has this at half price at the moment.

KapitanIksrog - I did some research on Logitech and iPhone compatibility after I saw the Pure-Fi Dream and I found this blog entry on their web site: http://blog.logitech.com/2010/06/30/logitech-iphone-4-and-ios-4-ready/

Logitech are claiming that all their current models are compatible but many of the comments on the blog post seem to disagree. Unfortunately the "Anywhere" that you have seems to have been replaced by the "Anywhere 2" so I guess that's not much help to you but I thought I'd link to it since this thread seems to be becoming a general alarm-clock radio for iPhone 4 thread (which is fine by me).

- Julian

12. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

Thanks. That link does help. There is an idea about shutting the phone off completely and then hooking it up to the device which I will try tonight.

I actually have the Anywhere 2 and haven't tried it out with the iPhone4 + bumper yet. It is more of a portable speaker set than an alarm clock. The one I have as an alarm clock is the Anytime (they need to be more creative with their naming). It doesn't appear to be made or supported anymore. I don't think they ever made an Anytime 2.

13. DavidMc macrumors member

I have the iHome iP97 and all sounds are silenced on my iPhone 4. It will buzz when you get a message. Kind of mixed on this though as we don't have a land line so our cells are our phones. I had a few weeks of my sister in the hospital with a blood clot in her brain. I had to use the sync cable and adapter to charge during that time so I didn't miss any phone calls. Just something to think about since the silence for notifications can be a blessing and a curse if you rely on this phone for all communication.

14. jparris1 macrumors regular

15. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

16. mcrendog macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 + bumper?

I am looking to purchase a clock radio for my iPhone but having to take the bumper off every night is a deal breaker for me. Is there one out there that you all know can work with the bumper? Thanks!

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm able to leave my ifrogz case on when docking mine with the ihome case.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I've found if I quickly toggle ipod on then back off all my sounds work. I just have to remember to do it each time. (wait til the ipod symbol shows up on the ihome clock face).

19. esskay macrumors 6502

Just picked up one of these Sony units. Looks great. However, while it works nicely with our 3GS, with the iPhone 4 you get the "accessory not compatible" message. :(

20. draz macrumors 6502a

It doesn't appear all the time, usually the message comes up if it isn't seated properly. The Sony units don't have a good holder for the 4, so I just have to remove it and let the phone sit there.

21. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anything have a good holder for the 4 yet? I did see some report somewhere about some guy who'd got Apple's white universal dock adaptor for the 4 and sprayed it black and fitted it into something that offered universal dock compatability and it actually looked pretty good so if people have devices that support the universal dock system then that might be the way to go unless anyone knows a source of black universal dock inserts for the 4. The last time I searched for that I could only find white ones.

- Julian

22. esskay macrumors 6502

You're right! I tried it again yesterday and my iPhone 4 worked just fine in it!

23. esskay macrumors 6502

When I was looking around the iHome site, I recall seeing something that there was an iPhone 4 holder insert coming.

I have an Incipio NGP on my 4 and it seems OK docked in my iHome IP9 without any insert.

24. trav54 macrumors newbie

trav54

I use an iHome IP90. Works great! No incompatibility messages.