iPhone 4 Compatible Car Stereo

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by paulmacbeth, Oct 19, 2010.

1. paulmacbeth macrumors member

Hi,

I'm considering changing my car stereo in a mk5 VW Golf to one that's compatible with my iPhone. I've read various reports online regards ios4 issues with some stereos and was looking for some advice.

I don't want anything that is going to take over the display of my iPhone, as I use my phone as my sat nav also.

Can anyone recommend a decent option, or alternatively a hard wired connection for my current stereo.

I'm currently using, and have been since my 3G, a griffin autopilot FM transmitter, but it's recently become really temperamental and keeps diplaying that it's not compatible and cutting the connection.

Thanks,

Paul.

2. JM2 macrumors member

Look for a radio that supports "iPod Control" this means only the audio is sent over the USB/dock connector and the iPhone retains control of the playback. Most of Pioneers have this feature, it's one of the reasons I recommend them. Some of them still cause the iPhone to pop up a warning about "not being compatible", but you can just hit dismiss or ignore it as it goes away quickly. Dig thru the manual of the radio your looking at and see if it lists the iPhone as a supported model to avoid this small issue.

This is a really good deal on a mech-less unit: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22422_Pioneer+MVH-P8200.html