Iphone 4 connected to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laxex Valentine, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Laxex Valentine macrumors newbie

Hello!

I could not find an answer on the internet but anyways that is beyond the point. I have a Iphone 2g since it first launched, and I am currently living in Shanghai. Well, I am very interested in the Iphone 4g and I am not sure if the iphone itself is connected to a provider right out of the box? Since, AT&T is not existent in China, I was wondering if I can just plug in a sim card or subscribe to another provider in China instead?

Thanks!!

2. jsh macrumors regular

Not if you buy it from the US. Remember, there will likely be no unlock initially (and we don't know when/if it will be available.) If you want it ASAP and there is no unlock, I'd order from somewhere that is legally bound to sell the phones unlocked -- is Hong Kong an option for you?

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Unfortunately, it is "locked" to AT&T and the only way to activate it is by being an AT&T customer. You will not be able to switch the SIM and use it as a normal phone in Shanghai. It will be locked to AT&T still.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    Just buy a factory unlocked iphone from Hong kong or online thru various sites.
    All US iphones are locked to AT&T.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Geez, you cannot even wait for less than a month? iPhone 4 will be out in Hong Kong in July, and they are sold unlocked out of the box over there. :rolleyes:

7. Laxex Valentine thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I didn't know that the iphone 4 comes out in Hong Kong in July. But yes, Hong Kong is definitely an option seeing as I how I go there very often :D

Thanks a lot! Very Helpful! I can finally change my old Iphone 2g!!