iPhone 4 Constantly Hangs @60% on Restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pasipple, Sep 1, 2010.

1. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I have had issues with iTunes 9.2.1 now for weeks. I have been unable to restore on iTunes as the restore goes to about 60% and will not proceed any further. I've worked with Apple support on this and together we have been unable to find an answer so maybe iTunes 10 will solve my issue.

Note...I have tried restoring on my Macbook Pro literally dozens of times with the same results. I have completely removed iTune 9.2.1 and all its files and reinstalled and still have the same issue. I've tried logging in as a different user and still the same problem. But no problem restoring with other computers? So maybe iTunes 10 will be the answer.

2. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

dhlizard suggested the following:

"You're not running WiFI Sync by chance are you ? I know that craps out restores in iTunes."

Tried turning off the wifi before the restore and same result. Hangs at about 60%. Had to restore with another computer.

Hope I find a solution or maybe iTunes 10 will resolve this issue for me. Very frustrating to have to find another computer if I need to restore.

3. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

I was having the same issue, but what worked for me was using a different computer to restore.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Try different USB cables, different usb ports, disable firewall / antivirus, computer and so on

5. nobias macrumors regular

6. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I can restore with other computers. Done it several times on two other computers. But it can be inconvenient to restore on another computer....so I'm looking to resolve the issue on my MacBook Pro....

Thanks...

7. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I have three different iPhone USB cables...tried all three with same result. Tried both USB ports...same result. I have a MacBook Pro so no antivirus software. Can restore on other computers but want (and need) to get a restore to work for me on MY computer.

Thanks....

8. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Tried DFU with same result.

Thanks...

9. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

did you *ever* have WifI Sync installed? If so, be sure to use the official uninstaller

(http://www.getwifisync.com/)

because simply removing it yourself is not sufficient.

If that doesn't work, try a different cord. If that doesn't work, reset your sync settings

(http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1627)

If THAT doesn't work, and seeing what else you've already tried, I would suggest zapping the .plist and going from there.

If all else fails, wait for a new Windows 7 phone.

10. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I may have to wait for the Windows 7 phone...

I've never had Wifi Sync installed on my iPhone...

Tried three different USB cables...

I have zapped the .plist....I completely uninstall iTunes including all associated files per Apple Support knowledge base:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224

I'll try the suggestion to "reset sync settings"?

Thanks...

11. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

A couple other things to try:

in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, delete (or rename) com.apple.ipod.plist

in your ~/Library/Application Support/ folder, delete (or rename) the folder called "MobileSync"

12. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

one other thing to try -- download a new copy of the firmware that you are trying to restore. it's possible that your version has somehow become corrupt.

13. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

At this point...having run out of options with Apple they are overnighting me a new iPhone 4. It is supposed to be here today...so I'm continuing the battle with THIS iPhone.

I'm having the 60% problem with archived version of 4.0.1 and the restore on iTunes (4.0.2)....

14. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I should also mention...the real reason Apple is replacing my iPhone 4 is because I am unable to make or receive calls. I get a "call failed" every time I try to make a call. The restore hang issue has been a lingering issue I've been trying to solve because I believe the root of the this issue involved my MacBook Pro or iTunes...or with some conflict on my computer...not the iPhone.

It can't be the iPhone because this is the 2nd iPhone 4 I've had and both hang at the same spot on a restore...whether via a custom ipsw or the latest restore with Apple.

15. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

OK...some GREAT news for me. I have now successfully restored to 4.0.2 thru iTunes. This is monumental because it had been hanging in the same spot for weeks.

I knew something someone suggested must have worked because I got the Error 1004 instead of the 60% hang...which I got probably 50 times. The 1004 Error was do to the "host" file pointing to the Cydia server instead of Apple. So deleted the server reference and bingo! Tried it twice and worked both times. This is a big relief. Now I know I can now restore again on my MacBook Pro. No more searching for a damn PC. :D

It must have been the reset on the wifi services. Still can't make or receive a call after activation so I'll wait for my new iPhone 4 arriving today.

This will allow me to experiment a little with this "marked for the scrap heep" iPhone....:)

Thanks to all that helped me....

16. pasipple thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'm praying that when my new iPhone 4 arrives it's still on 4.0.1. I'm hopeful....life would be simpler.

17. dumskalle macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem on my Iphone 4. Did have WiFi Sync and tried restore without uninstalling.
    Could someone answer a (stupid) question: How do I manage to run the uninstall program? The iphone just displays the "connect to Itunes" image. Can I download the uninstall to my macbook, attach the cable and run the program from the mac? How do I do that?

18. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the same exact issue, found a dirty fix. Once it's stuck, download blackra1n(I know it's not made for i4's) and click "make it rain" and it kicks it out and finishes the restore for you. But as states above, WiFi sync is most likely the issue.

19. globel420 macrumors newbie

I used blackra1n as well on my 3G that was doing this same exact thing..... Fixed it. I tried everything DFU.... Recovery..... other jailbreak methods. I am about to try it on an iphone 4 that did the same thing. Be back with results...

20. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

its a cydia app. hes not asking if your wifi is on or off. i had wifi sync and it did this to me every time. i uninstalled it and i can restore perfectly

21. globel420 macrumors newbie

this also fixed my iphone 4. It kick's itunes back into trying to recover the iphone thanks good nesss.