iPhone 4 Custom Ringtones and Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by New2iPhone4, Aug 28, 2010.

1. New2iPhone4 macrumors newbie

We recently switched to the iPhone--LOVE IT. However, I'm having a hard time getting the custom ringtones I made to ring properly when the contact calls.
    I made the ringtones myself in iTunes.
    They did sync to the iPhone and are visible.
    I attached them to a contact, saved it. However, when the contact calls, the custom ringtone isn't what I hear. It's the default even though under contact it shows the custom ringtone as the assigned one.
    Anyone else have this issue or know a work-around?
    Thanks!

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

When you look at the contact in the phone book, does it show that the custom ringtone is attached to that particular contact?
    If so, to be sure it has attached, click on the ringtone in the person's contact page. It should then bring you to the list of ringtones you have available. Be sure your custom tone is checked, and then click SAVE there to be sure it is attached. Hope that works for you!

3. New2iPhone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mliii
    Yes, when i view my contacts information the Custom Ringtone I created is what appears in their profile but when that person calls it's not the ringtone that rings.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You may want to look at the phone number entry for the contact. If you are using "-" (212-555-3333) you may have to change it to 2125553333 which is what the network sends when an incoming call happens.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

You have Call Display service on your line right? This is the only way custom ringtones work... If you don't see the number calling then it won't play the custom ringtone.

6. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

Hey what prog are you using to trim the ringtones......

Does anyone know if I need to Jail Break my iphone before I can add a ringtone?

Cause I add tones but they are not showing up on the phone... :(