Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakanagai

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Indiana
I got my iPhone 4 last Wednesday and noticed that it had some damage. Behind the glass of the Home button was a 1/4" slightly curved scratch or tear. There was absolutely no damage to the surface glass (verified by examining the area at different angles). The Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store, two hours away, looked at it and replaced it outright. I got it home and removed the plastic film from the front and saw there was ANOTHER imperfection under the surface layer. This one is smaller, located in the upper right corner of the display, above the battery indicator, running along the bezel there for a millimeter or two. That makes two iPhone 4's, both with something wrong behind the glass layers on the front.

Has anyone seen similar damage on their iPhone 4?

sakanagai

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Indiana
I am aware that the damage, at least on the second phone, is minor, but for a $700 phone that carries with it a 2-year commitment for $70-ish per month, manufacturing defects like these are unacceptable.

Even the small scratch here is difficult to ignore now that I've seen it.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I haven't had that problem - just the yellowing. I think you should take your phone back until you're satisfied. I got a swap for the yellow spots, even though the Apple guy tried to persuade me that it would fade. I said 'would Steve Jobs accept glue on his screen?" and of course anyone at Apple knows the answer.:eek:

sakanagai

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Indiana
I haven't had that problem - just the yellowing. I think you should take your phone back until you're satisfied. I got a swap for the yellow spots, even though the Apple guy tried to persuade me that it would fade. I said 'would Steve Jobs accept glue on his screen?" and of course anyone at Apple knows the answer.:eek:

I have another appointment for another replacement but it certainly isn't convenient. Having already needlessly taken a day off to receive the phone (it didn't arrive until that night), I don't want to take extra time off to get one that isn't broken. The nearest Apple Store is about 2 hours away (much more during rush hours) and the earliest I can set out for one on a work day is around 5pm. The first time was nice since I don't go to Indianapolis that often, but having to do so during the week does not a happy customer make. I intend to have an undamaged phone by the end of this all, but I'd really like to avoid further trips out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.