iPhone 4 Data Usage Increase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spacetycho, Jul 14, 2010.

1. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

I don't want to go into the whole story...but has anyone seen a spike in their data useage? I averaged around 70MB a month for the last 6 months and I am already at 50MB, 4 days into my cycle! WTF?

I have wifi at work and home.

Possibility: apps running in background/multitasking that access the web are using data up when on 3G? Can anyone confirm this could happen?

I whish I could turn off multitasking. It's stupid. Or at least choose what apps go into that mode.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

You do realize that you can close apps that are currently being multitasked. And the data amount that is shown in the iPhone settings include the WiFi.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And very few apps can actually use bandwidth while multitasking in the background. For example, Pandora can play music.

4. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

This true but that's something to do with multitasking.

I am 20 days in my cycle and I have used 1.2GB.

On 3GS I rarely used above 500MB...

Glad I have unlimited data.

5. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

6. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

No it doesn't.

7. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

KILL multitasking!

Great, so if I'm not listening and it's in multitask it uses data. So while I drive to/from work/home, both wher I have wifi, I am on 3G in the car and it sucks data even though I don't use it cause it's in the background? Hope that makes sense.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think you are understanding. There are very few apps that can use bandwidth while in the background. Pandora is just an example. If you are streaming music while its in the background, then it uses data. if you are not steaming music, then it is not using data.

9. chadcwm macrumors newbie

In 2 years, I've never gone over 100MB, but for some reason I'm almost at 190MB halfway through this month with my iPhone 4. Something is using data in the background, but I can't figure out what it is.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you need to put a curb on cellular data usage, you CAN turn it off.

In Settings -> General -> Network....

[​IMG]

11. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Just looked at my data usage and for my billing cycle from June to July I used 1GB of data. Previous to that my largest over the past six months was .4GB.

12. TheBigYahi macrumors newbie

Same here, never used more than 500MB and in this first month with the 4 I'm at 1.6GB with 5 days left.

A big offender has been leaving Slacker Radio open, even while paused. It seems to keep downloading data perpetually. In the days before I started force-killing it I would use 240+MB and see my battery fall off a cliff.

*Edit* I should also say, I dropped the unlimited plan based on my old usage being so low to save the $$. Drat.

13. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

You all didn't seriously think with new data limits and caps that the Empire wouldn't come up with a new formula for calculating data usage now did you?

14. timerollson macrumors 65816

So are there other settings to have on? I'm already at 116mb of data usage with 2 days of ownership under my belt. :confused:

I close all the apps. What the hell is using so much data? Could it be the amount of e-mail that I received syncing my accounts for the first time? Anyone?

[I dont use Pandora or other stuff. Should I turn off push for some of these apps?]

15. erik.thor21 macrumors newbie

I'm calling AT&T soon. This is crazy, It says I've used over 60 mb. I've only been on wifi only for a few days. Something is definately wrong with the calculation on the iPhone 4/ AT&T data.

16. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Found this thread, while looking for similar info. I'm currently 11 days into a 31 day cycle. Current data usage is 168.5, of luckily, unlimited. Doesn't bother me per say for THIS phone, but, I'm planning on picking up a white one for my wife when they come out, and WAS planning on opting for the 200MB per month plan. This was based on me very, very rarely even breaking 100MB on my 3G.

What is up with this? Seems like an extreme difference.