Iphone 4 Data useage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Smarterchild, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Smarterchild macrumors member

I just got my IP4 5 days ago and i got the 2g data useage plan and i just got a text saying ive used 65% of the plan used. Is there any tips that i can to lower it so i wont go over by the end of the month?

I usually just check Macrumors, nikon rumors and facebook on the go. And ive sent a few emails so far. Ive bought about 30 apps but half over wifi. Downloaded a few pictures from flickr and uploaded a few but i didnt think ive done 1.2G's worth of useage quite yet

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't use 3G as much. None of the things you listed seem like data hogs, but maybe you're doing something else that is (any kind of video). Depending on how big the pictures are that you're viewing that could be significant also.

3. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

No video. I have probably used youtube 10 mins total.

OR maybe... I had the same data plan before i got my Ip4. I used a Samsung Blackjack (VER3) and maybe it was carried over? like if i was inbetween months.

I just bought about 10 photo apps. A couple free apps nothing big. i dont live in a 3g area. I was in 3g for only about 1 day total of that 5 day period

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you using streaming audio? Pandora, podcasts, radio stations and the like are also major data hogs.
    Another thing to look at is how much browsing are you doing? If it's your only source of internet, you're going to have to cut back. Also, it can't hurt to turn off your notifications. Turning off your location services might help as well.
    If you're tethering, you need to lay off that. Conventional internet pages use a lot of data.
    You should really look at and log your internet usage. You might be using more of the data hogs than you realize. For example, you might be using You Tube more than you thought.

5. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

I use the facebook app for facebook mostly. Also used skype app a total for about 30 mins once to make a convo through text. Hmm check nikon rumors and macrumors.

Got another notification 20 hours after my orignal 65% text. saying i used 90% which i find impossiable because i BARELY used my phone at all.

Then i got to thinking... i upgraded my phone with my fathers upgrade since he was the "master" of the family talk stuff we have. and i had the unlimited data and text on my preivous phone. I had to go in with my dad to get the upgrade and used the upgrade on his line which made him get a new sim. And showed the iphone to his number. but later transfereed to my number. I had a tech at the best buy mobile store that was a dumbass with it and just think.. MAYBE he forgot to transfer over the data plans. where my dad has unlimited text and 200mb worth of Data and where mine was 2g and unlimited text.

there has been no way i have used 2g. and its possiable ive used about 200mb so far. If so that would totatlly be about the right math for how much i use it.

so i will be talking to a manager at the best buy store tomorrow

6. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Found out that they didnt get the 2gb plan on mine. Only the 200mb.

Best buy mobile store FTW

7. aopolis macrumors newbie