Iphone 4 dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theslaz, Apr 18, 2016.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

My older Iphone 4 was plugged in all night and was fully charged. Went to use it as I tried to send a text. Error came up stating that I had to restore it via Itunes. In all my wisdom; I decided to reboot it to see if that would fix the problem. Not! It is now stuck with a black screen and showing the Apple logo. I hooked it up to Itunes. Itunes asked me if I trusted this computer to access the information on my Iphone. I said okay. It than asked me to confirm this on my Iphone. Can't do that; the phone is stuck on the black screen.

Any solution to this?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Yes, Recovery Mode - with the iPhone connected to the computer, press both the Sleep/Wake (power) and Home buttons until you see the Connect to iTunes Screen (iTunes Logo and USB cable). Then release the buttons, and follow the instructions on the computer screen.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

This is basically what I tried before. I started over following your instructions. Itunes message pops up asking me if I want to trust this computer. I accept. Than a message pops up saying that I must also reply on my Iphone. Can't; because it is stuck on a black screen showing the Apple Logo. It can be noted; that when I hook hope the Iphone to the computer; my Photos program starts and displays all my new pictures.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

What matters is what you see on the iPhone screen. If you don't see the iTunes logo on the iPhone, then something went wrong with the attempt. Once the iPhone is in Recovery or DFU, you will not be asked to trust the computer.

Here's an alternate way for you to try:

Disconnect the iPhone from the computer
    Power-off the iPhone
    Hold the Home button on the iPhone, and keep holding it
    connect the iPhone to the computer
    keep holding the Home button until the Connect to iTunes screen appears on the iPhone (iTunes logo and USB cable)

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you power of the Iphone when you don't get a response from it. Right now I have had the Apple logo showing for about two hours. Trying to shut the power have does nothing. I may look at how to remove the battery and then renconnect. Sometimes that works on other devices when one has a problem with them.???

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the 10th time.
    Put it in dfu mode and restore it.
    Last response trying to help you.
    You're not good at following directions.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If you can't manage to successfully use any of the three methods we've provided here, there is no way on earth that you'll successfully open a smart phone to disconnect the battery.

10. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. It appears I did not know what "DFU" mode was. I assumed that it just was a reboot. Obviously not. I looked it up and followed the correct procedure. Voila; it is now downloading the software and hopefully will be able to install and restore it to factory settings. I'm assuming that after that is complete; I just restore it to my last backup?

DFU Mode
    Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
    1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
    2. Turn off the device.
    3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
    4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
    5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
    6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
    Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

11. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

The phone went through the motions successfully. Got the welcome screen and got to choose my language and country. It showed a screen telling me to connect to Itunes. Did that. Itunes after a few seconds gave me an error message "There is a problem with your phone. Please visit the service center to find answers". I could not get past the "connect to Itunes" screen on the phone. In other words; i could not complete the setup. I could not connect to network. It just keep showing "Searching".
    Unless there is a solution to this; I will just go to a Apple store and see if they can do anything with it. If not; I'll just purchase a newer phone. No complaints from me; as this phone has never given me a problem since I purchased it new!

12. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried the DFU a second time. Same results. I have a program that I use to make backups from my Iphone to my Mac. It is Anymp4 Iphone Transfer Pro. I tried running that to see if it would detect the Iphone. It did; however, it would not import or restore anything that I had backed up. Me thinks this phone maybe history!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The from the looks and sounds of it most likely its a hardware issue then.
    If it was anything software related it would have gone away with the dfu restore.
    Sorry for the bad news but maybe a good reason to update to something newer.;)

14. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. My wife has A Iphone 6 plus. I would like one also; but a bit pricy. The Iphone 5S can be had for cheap. May go that route!