iPhone 4 deleted images, will pay $100 for help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by azilko, Aug 28, 2010.

1. azilko macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iPhone 4 32Gb, and was using apples Image Capture app on my MacBook Pro to import photos from my phone into iPhoto. It had the option to delete images and video after import selected (I will never use that option again). The problem, is that it did not seem to import and save them (at least I cannot find them, but if you have a suggestion on where to look, im all ears).

I have tired many options to get my data back including ssh'ing into the phone and trying to dd /dev/rdisk0s2 and /dev/rdisk0s2s1. I am able to capture both of those images, but cannot mount them nor can i get photorec to pull anything other than a 31.2gig mpeg file off... I have tried to create an image w/ just rdisk0, but it only throws errors. I have also tried w/ bs=4096, bs=4096KB, & bs=1M, but none work. bs=1M works until 1.07Gb, then reboots my phone.

My thoughts are that the iPhone has a different file structure than the 3GS as 3GS owners have been able to get their image to dump and to mount allowing photorec to find the images.

I dont know what else to try, but am willing to do anything now. My next option is to look at installing Ubuntu on a VM and see if that makes a difference, but i kind of doubt it...

I am now pretty desperate for help. I am willing to pay anyone $100 for a working answer. I will honestly pay, and be happy to to get my photos back. Please post some options/suggestions. I could care less if its as easy as changing the syntax from a / to a \, or something stupid simple. You help make this work, I will send you $.

Thank You!

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Try a program called JuicePhone for Mac. You select the iPhone backup file and it shows you all of the backed up information, including photos. If the photos are backed up, then JuicePhone will be able to retrieve them. Hope this helps.

P.S. If it works, don't worry about sending me anything. :)

P.P.S. In the program, select the right backup, and click "Complete" in the top left. It'll take a few minutes, then it will open a folder. The photo's will be in *Your iPhone's name*/Home/Media/DCIM/100APPLE.

3. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

This appears to only look into a backup. I had not synced my iPhone before I lost these photos. I need something that will pull the data off the phone directly I believe unless I am misunderstanding that software.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. daver11 macrumors regular

I would contact a data recovery firm. They might have to disassemble the phone to put the drive in a new enclosure or something, but they should be able to recover any data that hasn't actually been overwritten. There are even several brick and mortar stores that offer the service where I live (there is a Data Doctors, or something like that next to Ace Hardware!).

Don't use the phone in the mean time, or you might overwrite the data.

5. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

i was hoping to use that as a last resort as ill likely have to send it off because i live in AK. i know others have been able to get photorec to work, but i seem to be struggling with it.

6. nsbe1 macrumors member

7. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

How is that a solution when it doesnt work with ios 4? I had already seen this, but again, I have an iphone 4....

I appreciate the effort though.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got a better idea. Move on and learn something from it. Next time do backups more often. And save your $100:)
    You can't retrieve anything that's been deleted from the phone and not backed up previously before that.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

it would be great if these things had a system restore point like a pc.....:D

10. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

pc.....ewwwwwwww!!!!

11. tizzl10 macrumors regular

tizzl10

those must have been some pretty important pictures.

12. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

...can't say that I will take this advice. There are a ton of people that have retrieved their deleted data from their iPhones. There just isn't much out there for the iPhone 4 yet, but I must believe that it's doable.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure there is tons of them:)
    When u find them and a way to do it let us know too.

14. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone has to be smarter than this out there.... I know that there has to be a way to get this data back.

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

You checked your Photo library? They may have been imported but not moved to an album.

Otherwise, you're probably SoL. If they were that important, you should have sent a copy via email then imported.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope

17. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Advice

Call up apple iPhone technical support. Their may have contacts for you with regards to this

18. RWil85 macrumors 6502

what i've learned through using various blackberries for years..

if the users on a dedicated forum don't know the answer - then technical support doesn't know the answer, haha..

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

From now on, back up your iPhone at least once a day.

Get a Mac and make sure that you enable Time Machine to backup important things and this will automatically include the iPhone backups folder.

If you had a Mac and had backed up your iPhone backups folder, you could have just gone back to the last day you had those pictures on the phone and hit restore. Then all you would have had to do was restore your phone to that backup and you would have the pictures today.

20. azilko thread starter macrumors newbie

I was on vacation, and was in the process of backing my photos up when I lost them... I have a mbp, and use it all the time to back up my iPhone. The problem was that I had too many photos and video on it, and it wasnt allowing for anymore data to be moved to it. Thus the import then deletion of the photos (which I have done many times now w/o an issue). Trust me, I know the value in backing up.