iPhone 4 died in less than 24 hours

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by willw3, Jun 24, 2010.

1. willw3 macrumors newbie

So I'm not sure exactly what happened last night while I was in blissful sleep with my iPhone 4 by my side. I spent a few hours yesterday setting everything up organizing my apps into folders, configuring things, and then I was done. Went to sleep and I woke up this morning and it's dead. I'm thinking maybe I should have plugged it in to charge, but I wanted to drain the battery anyway (it had 55% when I went to sleep). I plugged it in to my MacBook Pro and opened iTunes and got the message that my iPhone was in recovery mode. I mean, maybe it was out last night, celebrating it's new home with the other electronics in my house and got wasted. So with a sigh, I decide to restore my iPhone, and get the following load of you know what:

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)."

My guess here is that while my iPhone thought it could just hang with all the other electronics in the house, what really happened is that they beat it into a coma and now it has amnesia and can't even remember it's own name.

The somewhat good news is that after doing some searching, I saw that other people that have had this trouble in the past with other iPhones held the home and sleep button, for an extended amount of time until the screen powers up suggests you connect it to iTunes. I repeated the restore process again, and now it's on it's way back to life. I wish I would have synced last night after I spent all that time configuring, but oh well. The chances of getting a replacement seem slim to none right now, especially with the crop of other problems people are having before the official launch date with screen discoloration and signal problems while holding it in your hand... My question is how long do I have before this happens again. Was it a fluke, or do I need to sync my iPhone every 12 hours?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      86 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      45.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
  2. TheByrus macrumors newbie

I created a thread about this a little earlier because I'm seeing the same issue. It looks like the phone is going into an unrestoreable DFU mode shortly after sleep. Doing a hard reboot twice will get the phone back up and running for a bit, but as soon as it goes back to sleep for about 8 minutes, it's back in the DFU mode.

Turning wifi and 3g off and restoring the phone twice as new were not successful in fixing the issue, but as long as the iPhone is plugged into iTunes, the issue doesn't seem to occur. I've booked a Genius Bar appointment for a replacement but the earliest I can get in is Friday night.

3. TheByrus macrumors newbie

I posted this in another thread, but if you turn on the iPhone iPod and leave it on repeat and mute, the phone stays out of DFU.

It's at least a temporary solution.

4. DukeRufus macrumors newbie

Less then 2 weeks

My iPhone 4 died less then 2 weeks of owning it. Today while checking Facebook the screen flickered and the iphone got sluggish followed by another flicker. I closed the app and the phone turned itself off. I turned it back on and was greeted by the "Connect to iTunes" screen. So, I connected it to itunes to restore it. Nothing, I tried the DFU Mode that had worked on my 3G and again nothing. 20 attepts later and various error codes (2, 9, 21, 1603, 1604, 1611, etc.) I called Apple Support. The tech asked me some questions that were easily answered and I told him the error codes I had recieved. I heard him sigh, which is never good, he then said "Well the good news is you already trouble shooted the phone for me, the bad knews is....you are going to need a new iPhone". WHAT????? Apparently the processor is shot. He seemed familiar with my situation, I know thats his job but I wonder how many other iPhones out there were shipped with the same issue...

He told me I had 2 options:
    1) Pay $29 and have a new phone here next day and have the price of the phone placed as a hold on my account. Id send them the broken one in the same box and when they recieve it they'd take the hold off.

2) The one I went with is....You take your iPhone to a UPS Store and give them a Repair ID code. UPS ships the phone to apple over night and when apple recieves said phone they ship me a new one. Also overnight.

He didn't specify if it was going to be a brand new phone or a refurbished one...but I assume new, 'cause how many refurbihed iPhones can there be already?

If I had to guess I'd say it was either Error 2 or 9 that was the Faulty Processor Code...Mostly because I've sall the other error codes before.