iPhone 4 discharged overnight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoren1, Jul 11, 2010.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

Grabbed my wife's iPhone 4 this morning to set her wallpaper and found it to be dead. Wasn't responsive until after 10 minutes on the charger. She reports that the phone was at least 90% charged last night and she did not have anything like the video camera running.
    Any thoughts? Is there any way for the Genius bar to investigate this or do we just wait and see if it happens again.
    Thanks,
    E

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Try turning off wifi and 3g? My battery drained 40% one night, and the next night I turned off wifi and 3g to recieve a 2% drain. My bedroom is pretty far from the router and gets a horrible signal. That is when did it for me.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that doesn't sound right. My wife's IP4 doesn't seem to do that.

4. T4R06 macrumors 65816

maybe she left running pandora on background or something equivalent that can drain the battery. there is nothing to do with the wi-fi, bluetooth ON.

the deathbear - that is completely not normal for your phone. mine were on all ON but probably less than 10% drain

5. jackblack73 macrumors newbie

There was probably an app running. These are little computers, so occasionally glitches happen. Doesn't mean it's serious. With my 3G, a few times over the two years I owned it I found that the battery was draining fast and it felt hot. I think an app was running even though there was obviously no multi-tasking. I just rebooted and it was back to normal each time.

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I have wifi, 3g, push and notifications turned on all the time and only lose about 0-2% over night.

7. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I know correlation does not equal causation, but it worked. I set it down on the table next to my bed. Maybe when I placed it there, it lost the router, switched to 3G, tried and reacquired the router, and then repeat. Who knows, but I dont need 3G or WIFI when I sleep. Just a suggestion to the poster to try.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Staying on wifi will certainly decrease the battery load as wifi does use less battery so there could be a correlation. As the other poster mentioned, go to 2G and see if that helps.

Plus if that is a wifi deadspot, you might as well turn off wifi since it will continually search for a signal.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

But shouldn't the phone go off wifi overnight as it goes back to 3G when locked, I dont have my ip4 yet but I assumed it would still do this.

OP I think this could be an iOS4 glitches that causes the battery indicator to freeze, because ive had this happen once on 3g running iOs4 too, it was full then 5 minutes later it wanted a charger.

If it happens again call Apple and see what they want to do.

10. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Was the screen accidentally left on? I recall reading a thread on here where someone didn't lock their phone and the battery drained overnight and their alarm didn't go off.

11. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So we both have i4's - mine never drops more than 2% overnight (and that is with leaving wifi/3g on). I hadn't paid much attention to hers until this morning when it was dead. She says nothing was running and I don't think I even put any music streaming apps on there - they definitely were not on the 'most recent'/multitasking bar.
    Just wasn't sure if the Apple Genius had a way to access the phone and see what happened. If not, I'll just watch what happens the next few days. She has a knack for getting devices with bugs but we had managed to avoid the proximity sensor one on hers...guess we were due for something :rolleyes:
    E

12. Spideytex10 macrumors newbie

I was having a similar problem with mine. The battery was draining extremely fast. Worked great the first 2 weeks...

Took it in the Genius Bar on Friday and it had 2 unresponsive programs running in the background and chewing up all the battery. Foursquare and Words with Friends. I had quit them in the multi-tasking. She said they had become corrupted somehow. She restored my phone and had me reload all mine stuff, while deleting those 2 Apps (said I could download again if I wanted to, I haven't...). Did a complete discharge after reloading the phone and charging fully and it is working great now. It lasted until late last night before charging again. You might want to look into this type of problem. This may be something that plenty of people are having a problem with and not know it. There is no way to know these programs are corrupted and running. I even had an activity monitor app and they didn't show up.