iPhone 4 display backlighting dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Poki, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

A few days ago we had really hefty rain here, and I had to go a mile home. My clothes are dry now, but my iPhone is dead ... Well, almost. Everything works except the display backlighting. I can synchronize it, I successfully activated Voice Over, the touch functionality works and even the screen works flawless, but it just is impossible to see without the backlighting.

Is there any possibility I can repair it? Could it be just the power cable and not the backlighting itself? Anything I can do?

Two things you might need to know:
    1.) I didn't power it off after the rain because ... you know, I never dropped it in water and I thought a bit rain wouldn't be a problem.

2.) I'm not gonna pay 161€ for repairing a almost 2 year old phone

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

First try putting it in rice for a couple of days. That will make sure all the moisture is out of it.

If it still doesn't work, you can try and repair it yourself.

Harder/cheap way: There are two parts on the logic board you need to replace: Backlight coil and Backlight IC. Kits containing both these parts are available on eBay for under $10. Requires good soldering skills!

Easier/more expensive way: Buy new logic board.