iPhone 4:Do we still have to use Exchange or with the "Gmail" icon setup allow push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubnde, Jun 24, 2010.

1. dubnde macrumors regular

I read somewhere that GMail setup should be fine but just want to clarify if anyone has tested it before I can setup mine.

2. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

The regular setup checks at intervals. If you want true push you have to do exchange.

3. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will definitely use exchange setup. I found this on google so will follow that.

Just for my understanding. So basically, the google presets use POP and not IMAP, right? I thought IMAP pushes and unlike POP, there is no polling on regular intervals required, right? Or is it just that IMAP ensures folders are synced but does not guarantee "real" push as when using exchange?

4. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

I think imap just syncs but I'm not sure.

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

IMAP itself does not guarantee push. There are IMAP-compatible mail systems that have push implemented (like Yahoo!), but not GMail.

The good news is that iOS 4 allows multiple Exchange accounts (unlike iPhone OS 3 where only one was allowed) so you won't have to choose between your work account and Google Sync. :)

6. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

cool. thanks for the clarification.