Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtoothpick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
There's a problem when my iP4's headphone jack is not plugged in:
photoig.jpg

When my headphone jack is not plugged in, this message appears (even when nothing is plugged into my iphone, i.e. no docks, no 3rd party stuff). I have been using a legit apple dock i bought years ago for a couple of days (i've only had the phone for 2 days).

I've read some posts about this problem and they mention about the litmus paper turning red thats casuing the 'accessory' problem. When i looked, the bottom part of my phone with the litmus paper is slightly pink but the one in the headphone jack is still white. I have not come into any contact with any water except for the process when i applied the SGP's wet installation shield:( (i used their solutions).

The speakers still work because the ringtones are still working when i called, but i cannot play music with the built in speakers because the volume bar is gone:
photo87v.jpg

the volume bar is evident when headphone jack is in:
photo88copy.jpg

I don't know if it's a manufacturing defect or is it due to SGP's wet installation.
The question is: will apple let me exchange for a new iphone (my top litmus paper is still white and i seriously did not touch any water)?
Will SGP take the responsibility (i doubt it :\) ?
IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN FIX THE PROBLEM?

Guys please help meeeee!

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
The question is: will apple let me exchange for a new iphone (my top litmus paper is still white and i seriously did not touch any water)?
First off, I'd try a complete restore. There's a chance (albeit small) that it could be a software issue. If this does not work, your best bet is to make an appointment with a Genius. If it is determined to be a hardware issue, I highly doubt they will do an even exchange. The moisture sensor being tripped on the bottom is a dead giveaway that it's something that you did, versus a manufacturing defect. I believe they will swap it out for $199.
Will SGP take the responsibility (i doubt it :\) ?
No. It is not their fault if you made a mistake while applying a screen guard.

If you do end up with a new device, I'd recommend a different screen guard. There are plenty that are applied dry and use advanced static cling. These work well - I've had one on my original 2G iPhone for 2 years. It hasn't moved, the corners have not lifted, nothing.

Good luck to you.

bigtoothpick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
First off, I'd try a complete restore. There's a chance (albeit small) that it could be a software issue. If this does not work, your best bet is to make an appointment with a Genius. If it is determined to be a hardware issue, I highly doubt they will do an even exchange. The moisture sensor being tripped on the bottom is a dead giveaway that it's something that you did, versus a manufacturing defect. I believe they will swap it out for $199.

No. It is not their fault if you made a mistake while applying a screen guard.

If you do end up with a new device, I'd recommend a different screen guard. There are plenty that are applied dry and use advanced static cling. These work well - I've had one on my original 2G iPhone for 2 years. It hasn't moved, the corners have not lifted, nothing.

Good luck to you.

thanks. unfortunately i do not live in north america, so there are no geniuses here haha. also, there are only resellers here but no apple store in my area. oh well :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.