iPhone 4 does NOT support 802.11n 5GHhz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IrishTiger, Jun 23, 2010.

1. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Found that out today. :( Kinda sucks. Is that a hardware issue or a software issue?

Right now I have my airport extreme broadcasting in 5ghz for my MBP and my iPad. They work just fine. I have my airport express set up and broadcasting in the old b/g compatible world for other devices like my Roku box, older iMac (and I guess new iPhone).

So if I go to my airport extreme settings and chose 802.11n (just not the 5 ghz - see pic below) will it be faster, and thus my iphone 4 will work with it, or should I just allow it to use the regular wireless broadcasting from my airport express.

[​IMG]

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Apple told us this.. Because you didn't do your research it's no fault but your own. It only supports 2.4ghz

3. IrishTiger thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I just didn't research THAT in depth. I didn't have time. But, my post was more of a question rather than a statement. I'm not too familiar with wireless settings (except I know the 5ghz is a hell of a lot faster than the regular wireless) so I wanted some expert opinions.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

5. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

5ghz isn't necessarily faster, there's just a lot less interference with other wireless devices, such as cell phones and rf remotes and microwaves and stuff.

Xanadeath

6. og1 macrumors regular

i am unclear on how this affects anything? unless your internet is 50+ megabits, this isnt slowing you down one bit. its not like you can do huge file transfers to and fro your iphone wirelessly, no?

7. monksealpup macrumors regular

Local streaming (e.g. Air Video); but seriously, this was "news" two weeks ago.

You might also be surprised to learn that the white iPhone 4 isn't available for preorder. :rolleyes:

8. musr macrumors newbie

really? that would have been useful for me... it seems my apartment has some sort of wifi-killing radiation going on... can't pass 20ft reliably through 1 wall...

9. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You know, it doesn't seem like I'm missing anything from an actual user experience perspective, but the numbers are telling me I'm missing something, so I'm definitely going to complain about it.

:rolleyes:

10. Ganesha macrumors regular

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, this was known at the WWDC and was reported on various sites, but there's no reason to make the OP feel like an idiot. Not everyone lives in Apple land 24/7.

12. IrishTiger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Precisely. I was engulfed in airline pilot training for 6 weeks and had no time to do anything except study this new airplane AA hired me into. I barely made time to order the iPhone (thank God).

13. IrishTiger thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for the links by the way to the other threads. I'm leaving the Airport Extreme in 5Ghz mode as it REALLY speeds up my internet connection. I've got the Airport Express hooked up through bridge mode (connected via ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme) broadcasting in the old 2.4ghz mode. Seems to be working well with everything!!!!!