Iphone 4 dropped in the toilet ....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danikesel, Jul 5, 2011.

1. danikesel macrumors newbie

Hey i just need a little advice, i would REALLY appreciate it. So basically I dropped my 2 month year old iphone 4 in the toilet but it had a case over it and i quickly grabbed it out but after i pulled it out it was still too late and the screen just faded on me and would not turn back on. For around an hour tops, it was extremely hot like it was burning or something. Eventually it cooled off and i let it dry. I tried plugging it into my charger the next day and it did not turn on but it vibrated! but then i just took it out because i didnt want to do any further damage since it wasn't even turning back on. currently its sitting in a bag of rice. is there anything else i could do?? that doesnt require going to the apple store though. (im currently out of the country....) also should i find a way to unscrew the bottom so i could take out the battery? or will that not change matters either way if i do take out the battery..? i would really appreciate some advice, thank you :apple:

2. oxocube macrumors member

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope there was nothing other than water in that toilet.

3. bshef, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

bshef macrumors member

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. hopefully you'll get it working again or find a replacement.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You're using it wrong.

Try your luck at the Apple store, worst case is a $199 replacement.

5. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

if it was on when it was getting really hot i doubt it will work and (not to be rude) you should have turned it off immediately. Wait a couple of days in the rice and if nothing better happens just take it in to apple and tell the the truth and they might be nice and give you a free one. Hope this helped:apple:

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would keep it in the bag of rice for a couple of days and hope for the best.

7. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Just bring your phone to the Apple store. Be honest and tell the genius what happened. 9/10 times you will walk out of there with a new phone. If it doesn't work with one genius, try another or at a different store. There are tons of stories on line of people getting their phones exchanged for free at the Apple store for broken screens and such even though it wasn't Apple's fault.

8. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I highly doubt that would work, but it would be awesome for the OP if he was that lucky.

9. Kayzle macrumors member

This is my worst nightmare, always super nervous when texting while peeing

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should have come to these forums before you decided to plug it back in. GLWT.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's actually been happening a lot lately. Geniuses are getting more sympathetic, I guess. Or maybe it's some sort of internal company policy that we don't know about.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Am I the only one that doesn't use their phone on the flush? :p I generally focus my attention on doing what I'm there to do. :confused:

14. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

A sure sign of phone addiction when you can't leave your phone in you pocket long enough to have a pee.

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I get so bored if I don't have my iPhone with me. Probably makes me take twice as long also.

16. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

17. danikesel thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

i actually i was not texting at the toilet and i never put my phone in my pocket so it didn't fall out from my pants either. i put it on the ledge and as i was getting up and picking my phone back up it slipped out of my hand somehow. probably because my camera was in my other hand. just incase you all wanted to know. i appreciate the advice from everybody, thank you so much

18. Fresh1 macrumors regular

I'm not trying to bash you, but wait.... what? Camera in one hand, phone on the ledge? I usually go to the bathroom with a good book or Maxim, but camera AND iPhone?

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It actually helps me relax.

You didn't know that the name of this site is really MacRumors and Apple Addicts Anonymous?

20. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

The Apple Store wouldn't cover water damage costs anyway. Also, it seems you don't frequent MR much seeing how many toilet-damaged iPhone threads there are here :rolleyes:

The normal procedure in that case would be to remove the case right off so that the water it holds is removed, turn off the phone to avoid circuit failures and let it dry at a warm temperature for a day or two and finish it all off throwing it in rice in a sealed environment. Water damage is really bad to any electronic device, but in most water-damage iPhone threads their users seem to have had pretty good luck. Just let it warm, don't rush and make sure it is all dried up before you turn it on again. Do not attempt to remove the case or the battery.. also having attempted to turn it on constantly wasn't a bright idea. But good luck on that, sir!

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Good grief!! Camera in one hand, iPhone in the other while on the crapper. Let me guess..... You have a refrigerator there too?..........

There is no reason to get up. Might as well just spend the day there... :eek:

22. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Friend of mine had a similar thing happen to his iPhone 3Gs, except his went in the clothes washer. He took his to genius bar and was honest, but they did not replace his phone free of charge. He ended up waiting a month and the iPhone 4 came out. I think Apple is less likely to replace water damaged phones free of charge. At least that is what I have heard from other peoples experiences.

Best of luck with your situation. :eek:

23. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Or this - Kansas woman sat on toilet for 2 years

24. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

It's certainly really cool if the OP gets a new phone, because I guess Apple doesn't have to replace it. Big kudos to them if they do.