iPhone 4 Dropped. Speaker Not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Enjoylife1788, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I just dropped my iPhone on the floor. And my speaker has stopped working. Nothing else is broken. No dents. No shattered screen. No physical damage.

Also, sound in ear piece comes properly. camera, flash and everything other things works perfectly. But the loud speaker is not working at all.

I am finding it a bit weird. Tried soft rebooting, hard resting. But i guess its a hardware issue.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong and how to go about with the issue.

I am really tensed as phone is useless without ringer. its like phone is on silent mode forever.

Please help

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Take it to the Apple store and hope for the best.

3. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Apple Store trip for you. Generally if there is no sign of damage and something internally is broken, they will cover it.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Only if it is under warranty. :cool:

5. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats the problem. my iPhone is out of warranty now. so no help at apple store.

From what i see, there is no damage. could there be a wire or some unplug of cable. can i open it and give it a shot.

honestly, i dont have any knowledge. but dont mind just opening the backcover and plugging some wire back in.

if any of you can guide.

what say??

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How far out? Sometimes they can fix stuff easily and don't care so much if you're a little bit out of warranty.

Also, even if it's a total loss, Apple will take your old one and sell you a replacement at a discount. If it comes to that then this is probably the cheapest way to get a new phone.

7. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is more than 16 months old. So I doubt they will do it.

And since, only loudspeaker is not working, m quite optimist that i will be able to get it work or get it repaired cheaply. no point paying for a new replacement. Other than the loudspeaker, its in mint condition. without a single scratch.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, but at $199. He could go ahead and get the 4S for not much more (depending on how long he's had it).

Ribbon #3 is for your speaker. I seriously doubt that came undone from a drop. And if you do open it up, you may find you end up stripping that connector anyway. It's nothing like the other 5 connectors.

9. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what do u suggest? I am sorry but I have not had any experience regarding this before??

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Either do what SWC suggested and see what happens, pay for an out of warranty replacement, get a new phone, or try a fix it shop. There's just to many things it could be to try and fix it yourself.

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Go to apple store. Be as nice as pie. Ask them if there is anything they can do. They will 1) replace if for free or replace it for $199. If you don't like the $199, try your luck at some repair shop.

12. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Well yeah. :cool:

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

So you dropped your phone and now wondering why the speaker is not working? Obviously the drop caused something to come loose or break inside the phone.

14. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never asked why it happened. Of course, the drop did it.

But now should i not worry about repairing it? or just keep cursing myself why i dropped it.

So as after every damage, i am trying to repair it. I guess thats not a crime. :)

----------

Thank you all for your replies.

I found a link on youtube on how to replace the speaker assembly. M gonna try the different options.

will let you guys know what happened. Hopefully i can get my iphone 4 back in its original condition.

thank you all once again :)

15. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the suggestion. :)

But guess what, miracle happened.

I was so upset with my iPhone's sound not working. I was all worked up.

And my iPhone fell once again. Yes, it fell once again. And sounds back. Just like that. without doing anything.

My iPhone hardly drops. I take such good care of it.

But i guess this time it fell for good. :)

Thank you all for your replies. M so relieved now. Cant express it in words. lol

16. Waterdamp, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Waterdamp macrumors newbie

KO speaker

I have searched for this experience: speaker recovering spontaneously from KO caused by dropping on a floor from certain height.
    Had same happening with my iPhone 4-8 twice this year. The second time I was already more confident that audio might come back by itself (without falling again).

17. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

$199 would get him the iPhone 5s not the iPhone 4S

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha, I love it when ancient threads are pulled out like this. There should be warnings when replying to something so old. :(

19. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

oh ooops this was made back on MAR 2012 ooops

20. mazinmajeed macrumors newbie

mazinmajeed

My phone is under warranty , but it has some scratches caused due to rough use , for eg i keep ma phone on the same pocket where i keep keys , or keeping in a rough area etc !!
    Will that effect ma warranty ??

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Cosmetic damage shouldn't affect the warranty. Should be ok.

22. mazinmajeed macrumors newbie

mazinmajeed