Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Strong

It's odd, this reception problem. In some places I can definitely reproduce it. In others, it's impossible to drop below 5 bars.

In places where I can do it, the coverage is strong, in places where I can't the coverage is strong. Makes me think it must be something related to the different cell signals.

I find that if one has a five bar signal it won't drop... Anything less than that and I can get it to drop just by holding the phone...not squeezing the phone not cupping it not shielding it in tin foil-just holding it in my hand....

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
sucks that it drops the call even on a microcell. Does it still drop if you are camped out right next to the microcell?

So far it seems fine when you're in the same room like <6 feet away. Next room even with line of sight, however, still drops. I'll mess with it more, but bottom line is it at best improves the situation, but not solves it.

Good news is now I get good coverage in the basement, as long as I hold it correctly of course.

andyjsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
no free case from apple but..

I'm in the UK and after speaking to apple the weekend, they said either wait for a software update, or go and buy a case.

Told them I'm not happy about having to shell out another £30 for a bumper just to get the phone to work but they refused to budge. did some googling yesterday and saw that mobilefun are giving a free case away to fix the problem.

They say they're doing what apple aren't. I placed an order this morning and should hopefully get it in the next couple of days. Anyone else got one of these cases? does it make a difference?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/information/free-iphone-4-case-for-death-grip-sufferers/

Ferrd

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Just curious to know if any of you have a screen protector on the back glass, or a case...?

I was able to get Apple to send me a new phone last week because mine was dropping calls when the left corner was touched as well. Since the replacement was MUCH better, I tried to figure out the difference. After a lot of testing and toying around with the two phones, I discovered that the screen protector (bestskinsever) on the back glass was causing my issues. My old phone now gets the same reception as the replacement. I'm still sending the old one back, but maybe that tip will help someone here.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
coincidentally this thread popped up today and I got my replacement in. We'll see how the new one goes. This is #3.

(I have no screen protectors, BTW)

fastfinger

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Glad I saw this thread before my purchase, I'm left handed so this phone would have been a huge pain in the a**. I cancelled my reservation.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Here's a short video with my replacement iPhone 4. 3/3 on signal issue. We'll see if Apple wants to do anything else or waive the white flag. After the Consumer Reports piece, I'm doubtful they'll be able to do anything.

http://www.twitvid.com/KK3XX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.