iPhone 4 dual carrier help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sacred, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sacred macrumors member

I've just upgraded to an iPhone 4 today and am having problems getting the carriers to work correctly.

Basically all I want to do is set my iPhone 4 with a default carrier, one that it will always try to connect to first before any other carriers and one that it would switch to should it become available.

However my iPhone keeps choosing my second carrier, which although often provides better phone signal provides no 3G support meaning the internet is very very slow.

Is their any way to get the iPhone 4 to use multiple carriers but select my default one first instead of always choosing my secondary one? :confused:

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I assume your iPhone is factory unlocked.
    So to answer your question, the SIM card in your phone determines what carrier it uses.

3. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

T-Mobile / Orange by any chance?

You can select Settings, Carrier, Auto (To let the phone do its own thing) or Select One of the Carriers beneath to force the phone to stay on a particular Network.

The only downside is that you will not auto switch to your second carrier. You will stay locked to the Network you have specified.

4. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Factory unlocked? :confused:

My simcard allows for two carriers I don't have to change it to a different sim card to change to a different network.

5. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but it always connects to Orange who doesnt support 3G in my area I want it to connect to T-mobile when using the internet for the 3G speed but use Orange for calls as the line quality with T-Mobile is horrific! Is it possible to have it do this without having to keep swapping manually between the two which seems to take ages while it searches what networks are available.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I see... we don't have multi carrier cards in the US.
    If I want to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile, I have to physically switch the SIM card.

7. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

:( that really sucks! Can't believe we have something the Americans don't for a change.

8. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

Sorry mate - I am with Orange (I get 3G with them) if I switch to T-mobile I only get a 2G signal, which is pants coz their 3G in my house is a full 5 bars(My son is T_Mobile).

Orange & T-Mobile are in the early stages of the merger, hopefully it won't be too long until the 3G Networks are shared between customers as well....

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yeah they said the 3G networks will be shared later this year. Only 2G or Edge in some places at the moment.